Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anti-spam that respects Outlook/IMF client junk email options

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewinr

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2002
CA
Hi All

We run a cluster of exchange 2003 servers.
Because IMF does not run on clusters, we installed IMF on the workstastions of those users who had the most serious spam problems.
It has worked well, and most of those users have built large black and whitelists.

Now we need a solution for everybody because the spam problem is getting worse and worse and more users need to be covered. Also, the IMF does not work when a user's workstation is offline and so they should leave their workstation/outlook running all the time to handle spam if they want to access their mailbox remotely via OWA or GPRS.

We wanted a solution that would respect the whitelists and blacklists already sitting in exhcange from running IMF on the clients (or at least import it) and also let the users continue to use the native Outlook junk-email functionality (right click on mail->add send to blocked senders list, etc) many of them know it.

We evaluated many products but did not find any that would respect the whitelist/blacklists in exchange from IMF and use the Outlook native tools for spam management.

I had hoped the new MS version of Sybari/Antigen would do it, since it seems natural that a Microsoft product should be built to work with Outlook. But someone who knows Outlook well told me that the new MS version of Sybari will NOT respect the whitelists/blacklists.

Does anybody know a solution that will meet my requirements?

Thanks
Ron

Why not put a single Exchange box out there that does your Internet email delivery? Configure the IMF on that. And host your mailboxes on your cluster.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

for the same reason we have the cluster in the first place: to eliminate single-point-of-failure.

Our requirements are similar, spam filtering full time. We have nearly exclusively Macs on our network with our Exchange server.

I have been experimenting with Symantec Mail Security for Exchange's Heuristic Spam prevention. I am slowly increasing sensitivity, and it seems to be working. I am just concerned about reaching the point at which false positives are found. Currently, I redirect anything with SCL >4 to my mailbox, and haven't found a false positive yet, and only get about 30 a day. SCL >7 is rejected completely, and SPAM is prepended to the subject if SCL is >3. I'll be decreasing each value today...

If I can get decent perfomance from the "free" spam filtering, I might consider the add on Symantec Premium AntiSpam

I also have a bastion host which uses blacklists and rudimentary header checks. Of 145,000 connects, it rejects about 35,000 emails a month. And our users are still pretty upset with the spam in their inboxes.

So, I am trimming and cutting.

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back