Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anti spam on exchange server 5.5 sp4 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Wich software can I use for anti spam on exchange server 5.5 sp4 (freeware)?

There is a feature already built into Exchange 5.5, which is found in the Internet mail Service connector, Connections tab - message filtering. This allows the filtering of either a single user or an entire domain. Works quite well!

Depends on what you mean, - did you want to stop your exchange server being used to spam others - this is the open relay problem. Or did you want to stop your recipients from receiving mail that has been sent from a spammer - goto

I want to stop my exchange server being used to spam others - How I can do

I placed a helpful hint 'Close relay in Exchange 5.5' 26/6.
It would be the quickest way. You can also configure 'Email domain' security & 'Connection' (Who can connect) security. - I tried these but kept going too far & prevent something else from happening.

Breifly:
IMS Connector properties:
Routing tab
1.Select - Reroute SMTP mail for <Your domain> as inbound.
(Don't select 'do not re-route smtp mail' as it will download a spam message before it realizes it's not meant to ie: lead to a DoS)
2.Select Routing restrictions - Place a tick in second box,
but don't put any ip addresses in (sounds dumb but is the trick)

Protocol Properties:
3rd Tab
Accept/Reject the following
Accept <Internal private address range & SubnetMask>
Accept <Public address range & SNM> - if you need to
Reject 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
(List should look this order top to bottom - I don't know why but someone told me this)

Then 'telnet mail-abuse.org' & should pass all tests

Hey Invencible, I tried using the &quot;message filtering&quot; off of the IMS tab and all my Internet mail was rejected with a unknown user error. The addresses were correct. What did I do wrong?

Kbu,

What service pack are you currently using and what was the error message?

Invincible, We are at Exchange 5.5 sp4 and NT 4.0 sp6a. I checked my manual and it stated the same as you did. I'm not sure what happened. I tried this twice and got the same results both times. One possible issue is we have a linux box that get the outside mail and sends it to the Exchange box. I've ask several times if this is needed and got a sea or jargon, something about Exchange can't have more than one system sending e-mail blah, blah, blah. I don't know if maybe this added link could cause the filter to go crazy. -K

Telnet to any exchange box and notice how when you do &quot;Rcpt to: someone!somewhere.com&quot; it will relay. How to stop this?

please reply paddy_oryan@yahoo.com.au

Padster: You mean to say that you used &quot;!&quot; instead of &quot;@&quot;? What is the purpose of that? the message is not going to get delivered anyway. The only purpose I see of doing this is to slow down the server by someone being malicious. I think that what we are talking about here is how to stop relaying, and in fact this does NOT relay, since the message is not arriving at the final destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back