Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti-spam methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixboy

MIS
Nov 21, 2001
US
We currently host several mail servers which serve a number of clients. We're finding that we spend way too much time adjusting our filters to prevent spam (they're reasonably effective, but it's time-consuming to do so). So we're considering three overall scenarios:

1. Outsource e-mail completely

2. Outsource just the filtering process

3. Install an appliance or software to do the filtering

I've got a bit of information about BorderWare's MXtreme appliance, and it seems like it'd do quite well. Anyone have any experience with this product? In that category, we're also looking at Symantec AntiSpam for SMTP, if anyone has any thoughts on that.

As for the other two scenarios, I've looked at MessageLabs to do the outsourced filtering. Seems like an excellent product, but also pretty pricey. Especially since we'd have to sign up every single domain (and variation of those domains; we have some clients that use more than one domain to point to the same physical e-mail account) to get it to work.

Anybody got some good leads on good companies who do e-mail outsourcing? Ideally, we'd like to have something we can private-label.

Thanks!

Fun isn't it?

I've got no experience on the title you're looking at, but our servers (Linux based) run SpamAssassin which seems to be doing a pretty good job.

The trick is finding something to work with what you are using to allow the reciepients to modify their spam definations. (what I or you consider to be spam, may actually be desired to someone else).

No matter which solution you try, there will always be spam, atleast until somebody tracks down the little ^hits and introduces their fingers to a good ol Axe handle

It's interesting the different options for handling the trapped messages. Most of the products/services I'm investigating can reject, quarantine (in some way, usually by sending to a mailbox for review) or tag the message. Currently, we drop the vast majority of the spam into our tarpit for review. If we started passing the messages (tagged, of course) onto our end users, their mail volume would increase substantially. While that might be a nice eye-opener, it'll probably get annoying, so I'm inclined to keep it basically doing what we do now (tarpit).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back