Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anti-popup blocker? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesManke

Programmer
Jul 1, 2004
CA
Any body out there have a script for opening popup windows that won't be reconized by IE popup blocker. I would like to avoid the blocker from poping up when people try to view the "larger image - popup".

Thanks

I don't think there is a way to bypass the popup blocker - after all, what would be the use of building the popup blocker into IE if it could be bypassed easily (think about it!).

However, you can tell if your popup has been blocked, and alert a message if it has (which I wish most professional sites would do instead of simply giving a JS error!):

Code:
<html>
<head>
	<script type="text/javascript">
	<!--
		function doPopup() {
			var winHandle = window.open('[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.google.co.uk',[/URL] '', '');
			if (winHandle == null) alert('Please disable your popup blocker');
		}
		//-->
	</script>
</head>

<body>
	<a href="javascript:doPopup();">open me</a>
</body>
</html>

Hope this helps,
Dan

All,

I know this really does not apply wholly to this thread but I need some help. I have an application which uses pop-ups to display report information (Business Objects - Crystal Enterprise). I have a user which is getting the "Please disable your pop-up blocker...".

The problem I am having is that I cannot find a pop-up blocker on her PC. She said she is not aware of a blocker installed on her PC but there has to be one. The user who shares her office has no problems accessing the same reports.

Does anyone know how to scour the PC for a blocker? She is using Win2K Pro OS.

Thanks,
--Ken

Kenneth Hartman
Manager, EIS
Hughes Network Systems

Has she installed anything like the Google toolbar, etc? Or ANY browser plug-ins / enhancements?

If you click the "Tools" menu in IE, do you see a "Popup Blocker" menu item? Is she even using IE? If not, what browser?

Dan

The answers you get are only as good as the information you give!

Dan,

Sorry about that. She is using IE 6, there are no Google-bars or any other enhancements to her browser that I was able to see. I went through all of the options under IE 6 and found nothing.

I looked for any Yahoo based stuff as well and there was nothing. The only thing she had installed was the AIM tool for instant messaging. I saw nothing in there that contained any pop-up blocking capability.

--Ken

Kenneth Hartman
Manager, EIS
Hughes Network Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back