Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti-climatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
Here is one seriously misused word: climatic, which is too often used instead of climactic.

"Events unfold, this time to a climatic conclusion, ..."

"...it robs the film of a true climatic conclusion."

"...only to arrive at a rather anti-climatic conclusion."

Climatic: Of or relating to the climate (weather)
Climactic: Relating to or constituting a climax (intensity)

Correction: Otherwise the misused word is "climatic", not "anticlimatic" which is only compounding the mistake.

Your defintion is anticlimactic is unique.

Dimandja said:
The key here is did you know that anticlimactic was the needed word? If you did and intended to use it, then it is a typo.
What eluded you in the 9[sup]th[/sup] post of this thread seems to no longer be elusive.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

>Your defintion is anticlimactic is unique.

Is this sarcasm? Aren't you violating your own rules of conduct? Take a deep breath, man.

>What eluded you in the 9th post of this thread seems to no longer be elusive.

What's your point, CC? It took me a while to figure out what you were trying to say. So, where is the sin?

To avoid further useless personal attacks and snide remarks from you, CajunCenturion, I'll take a sabbatical :) from your forum.

It was fun.

I am sorry you feel that way. It was fun.
I hope you enjoy your sabbatical.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I don't think it's just a spelling error. 10% is an awful lot of people just happening to "accidentally" misspell climactic. It's similar to how people misspell prerogative as perogative, and say it the same way. It's ignorance, not just a typo.

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

To support Dimandja a bit:

The definition of anticlimactic I know of is the exact opposite of climactic meaning some sort of nadir in the course of tension.

Climax does not only name the high point of tension in a drama, but also the order from low to high in tension ending in a climax.
Its opposite is the catacosmesis ordering the paragraphs form high to low in tension, ending in an anticlimax.

So, dimandja is perfectly right with her definition of anticlimactic.
Both terms, climactic and anticlimactic exclude each other.

Do a google search on "opposite of climax" with quotes and you'll see... :)

[blue]The last voice we will hear before the world explodes will be that of an expert saying:
"This is technically impossible!" - Sir Peter Ustinov[/blue]

"climatic end" ==> 934 hits.
"climactic end" ==> 6,430 hits.

"anti-climatic" ==> 44,800 hits.
"anti-climactic" ==> 132,000 hits.

"anticlimatic" ==> 11,600 hits.
"anticlimactic" ==> 94,800 hits.

Interestingly (to me at least, but then I've got too much time on my hands), the words "climatic" and "climactic" appear on 12,600 pages together.

In fact, finding this link raises whole other angles. climatic climax here

~Thadeus

>[...] So, dimandja is perfectly right with her definition of [...]

Actually it's his, but who's complaining? After all, women are always associated with he labels -- and they barely mind it, why should I complain, right? ...right?

<musing>
Are grammatical genders a thing of the past?
<musing/>

Dimandja,

Don't worry about it. Someone on tek-tips told me he thought for months that I was a woman. Hehe.

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

[lol]
Sorry Dimandja. Must be the "a"-ending...

[blue]The last voice we will hear before the world explodes will be that of an expert saying:
"This is technically impossible!" - Sir Peter Ustinov[/blue]

<aside/>
Actually, there are many names in my part of the world that are cross-gender. Dimandja is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back