Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

answering phone calls w/ modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

c62ip64

Technical User
Mar 23, 2006
US
What do I need for answering phone calls through my computer via a modem? I have a Conexant D850 PCI V.92 Modem attached to my PC. The phone line, from an existing phone that works, is plugged into the phone jack on the modem. I have a NetWaiting application running that answers calls through a dial up provider. I have FIOS internet service. I do not get a response from NetWaiting when a call comes in which is understandable since I do not have a dial up provider.

Thanks,
Tom

I couldn't find enough information on the Conexant D850 to determine if it is voice capable or not. I recall that NetWaiting was designed to suspend an active PPP connection while you took a voice call, then restore your PPP connection. Since it was designed to detect a call waiting while in a PPP session, I don't believe that it was designed to detect an incoming call while the modem was idle.

A simple check is to do the following:

There should be a line where the modem is queried with AT+FCLASS=? If the response does not include an 8 or an 8.0, then the modem is not voice capable. A voice capable modem will also have a WAV device in the Sound Devices.

If the modem is voice capable, it may not be viable as a "speaker phone" so a voice call would be half-duplex and will likely not be of an acceptable quality.

If you get past all of those hurdles, you will simply need a speaker phone application, like:

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back