Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another XP networking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougjensen

Technical User
May 27, 2002
US
I have several XP machines on a LAN with a router/firewall and a cable modem to the internet. Each machine has been able to use the internet and map each other's drives until recently. One machine crashed for some reason and since then that machine can still access the internet but it can't see any other machines on the LAN and they can't see it. The other machines continue to network properly as before. I have double-checked the problem machine's network settings (they are unchanged and still the same as the other machines, except for the IP address of course), and uninstalled Zone Alarm just in case. When that machines tries to access a remote share in my workgroup, I get a message that the workgroup is not accessible, network path not found. Ideas please? Thank you! --Doug

Check that netbios over tcp is enabled on the wins tab of the local area connections tcp/ip properties under advanced.

Are you able to ping the Hostnames of the other machines? Try running IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS and then IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS, as you may have lost DNS settings for your LAN. You may also tey unjoining the problem child form the workgroup and rejoining it... Thanks,

Matt Wray

Had this problem once before, did the following and it fixed my problems..

You can't uninstall TCP/IP in Windows XP, because there is no Uninstall button for this protocol. According to Microsoft, that is because TCP/IP is an integral part of the operating system, and removing it would cause major problems. You can, however, use the Windows XP command line utility NetShell to reset all IP-related Registry settings to their default values. The result is a brand-new TCP/IP configuration.

The Netsh.exe program is located in the C:\Windows\System32 directory. To use the program, enter the command

netsh int ip reset filename

You must specify a filename, such as Ipstuff.txt. After Netsh.exe runs, the file will contain a detailed log of the Registry keys that were modified.

To rebuild the TCP/ip on xp go to the properties of the local area connection, and uncheck tcp/ip it will prompt for a reboot, allow the reboot then re-check tcp/ip and reboot again, this will have reinstalled tcp/ip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back