Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another XP/Home network issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2004
GB
I've just got a new laptop (xp home) and I want to network it with my Desktop PC (xp pro).

I am using a direct connect ethernet cable, and I have managed to connect various other machines in this way to my desktop pc.

I've run the set up network wizard, but I can't get any shared folders in my network places.

My XP Pro machine lists its shared folders there, the laptop has nothing.

Also when on the laptop, and I click on the MSHome workgroup, I get an error saying "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"

Can someone shed some light on whats gone wrong and what I can do to sort this out please?

Thanks in advance,
Ant

If the laptop wont let you open the MSHome workgroup, I'd guess that 'file and printer sharing for microsoft networks' is not enabled in the network adaptor properties.
James

Thanks James, I'll have a look at that. For the time being I have managed to gain access via the Run > \\Ip Address command.

so it sounds like IP addresses are not being converted to names.

Are you using a router or hub, or just connecting the two machines together? If you're just using a cable, you need to use a crossover cable, not a standard ethernet cable, and you need to assign static IP's to each unit, with the same subnet.

Yeah I'm using a crossover cable, I couldn't remember the name of it to start with so thanks for that.

when I run ipconfig, I always get returned the same IP address' for each machine, so I would guess these are static. However, I will look into the subnet later.

Thanks
Ant

You're probably getting an Autonconfig IP starting with 169. Try assingning 192.168.0.1 to one and 192.168.0.2 to the other, and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 to both.

Right click "My Network Places" on your desktop. Choose properties.

Right click "Local area connection" and choose properties. In that list scroll down to "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" and select that then choose properties. From there you can change your IP address as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back