Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another wireless XP & Win98 debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

baspinall

Technical User
Oct 27, 2006
US
OK, I have searched and tried many things to no avail. Heard that before?
Here's what I have.
A win98 PC with a linksys network card wired to a Linksys router via a Cat. 5 cable. I get a link light and the Ethernet card shows no problems. I have a HP printer on that PC.
A Vaio Laptop, running XP, with internal Intel wireless card.
My internet connection is dialup on both machines. Not really intrested in sharing an internet connection, just want to be able to sahare files and print from laptop.
From the laptop I show a connection with good signal strength.
I can ping the PC from the laptop.
I can not ping the router wich is still default 192.168.1.1
From the PC I can not ping anything.
I have unique IP's set up on each machinewith the 255.255.255.0 sub mask.
I have loaded the network set up on the Win 98 PC for the file: Ssdpsrv.exe
On The Win98 PC I have TCP/IP setup on the Nic & Netbui
Am I missing something stupid? My eyes are about crossed at this point

TIA - Brian

Where did you get the ssdpsrv.exe file? If not linksys driver delete the network parts via mangler and let it reload on the next power up.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I got the file from the XP disk. I ran the set up home or office network wizzard.

So that I understand correctly: You have the linksys network card in the 98SE running with a driver you got off the XP CD?

Have you attempted to find a 98 version of the linksys driver?

Haven't used many Linksys cards but if I recall correctly their drivers are readily available on their website.

Ed Fair

edfair -
Let me try again. I didn't word it right.
The Linksys card has the right drivers and works fine. When you run the the network wizard on the XP machine it takes you through a series of setups, at the end it prompts you to either "make a start up disk" or use the XP disk to load these same setups on your other computers (which is my WIN98 PC). I put the XP disk in my WIN98 machine and followed the "Network wizard" which loads that file I mentioned on to your (my Win98)PC.

I would suspect that the XP networking killed your 98SE networking.

I would kill all the 98SE neworking by deleting the card from device manager then reboot and let it reinstall again using the linksys drivers. Aim is to get the SE talking to the router. Once the SE is talking to the router you can worry about getting the computers talking to each other through the router. You'll have to add tcp/ip and I would suggest that you let the router assign IP addresses. You can use winipcfg to see what is being set up by DHCP.
You shouldn't need the XP network setup to do this.

Ed Fair

Heres the newest.......... I can now print from the laptop, but only if I disable the Norton firewall. I can not access files in either direction at all.
I did deinstall & install the ethernet card & drivers, THANKS for the advice....

And what workgroups? SE defaults to workgroup, XP to something else I can't remember right now.

Drives shared? Mapped drive?

Ed Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back