Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

another Win98 SE hang problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

schu

MIS
Jun 21, 2001
HK
I did encounter the Win 98 SE shutdown hang problem, and downloaded the patch from Microsoft (because I have a lot of mapped drived). It did not work.

Anyway, what I also found out was that my Win 98 SE (actuall explorer and IE 5.5) is hanging whenever I use the directory combobox, or the explorer URL combobox.

This happens after I have a period of inactive time on my computer.

Anyone with the same problem, or a solution.

Having the same problem exactly, plus alot of OE errors. I have a HP with Ahtlon Processor. Have talked to many people that know alot more than me about computers and they don't know what the problem is. One person says to get a original 98 SE that people have not had a problem with and install it after you format the hard drive. Haven't tried this yet!
Anyone else? HELP ! ! ! ! !

eehibew

schu,

If the Shutdown Supplement is installed but not working correctly,

The Fast Shutdown registry key may be enabled.

The Microsoft System Configuration utility includes an option to disable Fast Shutdown. If this option is unchecked in Windows 98 Second Edition, your system may reboot instead of shutting down.

To resolve this issue, backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Shutdown

Right-click on the FastReboot entry, choose modify and type in the number 0.

NOTE: When you apply the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement, which addresses shutdown issues, the Disable Fast Shutdown option is no longer listed on the Advanced tab in Msconfig.

===========================================================
For IE problems:
Try the Internet Explorer repair feature first. Go to Start>Settings>ControlPanel>Add/Remove Programs, scroll down until you see Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 & Internet Tools, click the Add/Remove button and select repair.

Or go to Start>Run, type msinfo32, click the Tools menu and select Internet Explorer Repair Tool.

For Internet explorer, right-click on the taskbar, choose properties, click the Start Menu Programs tab and click the Clear button.

This deletes the following keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU

To clear history and temporary internet files, right-click on the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop, choose properties and click the Delete Files and Clear History buttons.

To clear the autocomplete history, click the Content tab, click the AutoComplete button and click the Clear Forms and Clear passwords buttons.

Now shutdown and restart.

reghakr

I have 450 users and had a lot of problems with the win98se hanging on shut down with mapped drives. Here is the solution:

you need to create your own shut down batch routine. the reason you are getting a hang is that there are "hooks" that were not released from the other end of the mapping.

in your batch you must include the following

net use * /delete /yes

the net use command is used for mapping
the * is used to tell the machine "all" drives
the "/delete" is a switch telling the machine to delete
the "/yes" is a switch that answers the question that you will get if you don't use it.

the last line of your batch is the command line for shut down

C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows

put it all together and you get

net use * /delete /yes
C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows

save this as a batch and put a shortcut on your desktop. Simply click on it and in 15 - 20 seconds your machine will shutdown every time.

Thanks ejstrom,

I will try it, and see how it goes.

however my hang problem is still apparent.

Thanks of the helpful tips reghakr
I am not sure if it is explorer and IE specific.
here are more details:
1. I am using IE5.5 SP2
2. Win 98 SE with latest updates (from Windows update).
3. I have installed the mapped drive service pack.

The problem occurs after a period of inactivity say 15mins.
When I open Explorer (Folders), or IE5.5 I cannot use the "Address" combobox. This is most annoying when I type in a URL and it has detected I have used it before and the list pops ups and hangs before I can complete the URL. I have to kill the Explorer to regain control and after that IE and Explorer does not open at all until I reboot. The system works fine if I select from the favorites menu.

This problem does not occur if I continuously use the system.

Need any more info?

I think it's related to the AutoComplete function. The history being corrupt. Ty these steps:

1. right-click on the taskbar, choose properties, click the Start Menu Programs tab and click the Clear button.

2. To clear forms and passwords information, go to Tools>InternetOptions, click the Content tab, click the AutoComplete button, and choose Clear Forms and Clear Passwords.

3. In Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Internet Options, click the Advanced tab and uncheck "use inline autocomplete for web addresses" and "use inline autocomplete in Windows Explorer"

4. Backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\SPW

and delete any encypted entries that are listed in the right pane window.

reghakr

Have had to re-install Win 98SE twice. When you have too many programs you end up with conflicting .dll files, and version conflicts.
Keep it small and tight. Re-formatting is a pain in the ass!

Thanks reghakr

I have performed all your points
(except the intelliforms which I did not have in my registry).

We will see how it goes.

The combo box problem seems okay.

thanks
reghakr

ejstrom - I just wanted to let you know that your "bat" file has solved my problem. I have been haunted with my shutdown problem for over a year. I tried everything but yours is the first to work - thank you so much

schu,

You might also want to check th4e settings in ControlPanel>Power Managment. If your hard drives are set to "turn off" at a certain time period, you could change the setting to see if that makes any diffeence.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back