Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

another tip - term v210 question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonioelderprado

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2003
Hi,

I have posted few months ago, a question regarding a v210 and how to have a console connected to a 220R sun. I was able to get the console at that time with connecting the rj45 from console manager (the little black rj45cable) into a 232 (with a 25-9 cable). In between I had a radio shack modem null converter.
Because of Rita, we have to make some adjustments here in Houston and I removed that machine out of my computer room. Now, when I try to use the same setup the console still do not come up.
the connection from v210 rj45 goes into Serial A.

sundv2:/# tip /dev/term/a -9600
connected

hangs on the conected.

am I missing something, a lot,...

any help would be appreciated.

thank you

./antonio/.

./antonio elder prado/.
.\mountain view, ca\.
./bauru, sao paulo/.

antonioelderprado;

The command you are using is correct.

A couple things could be causeing the issue.

1. have you changed your input-device and output-device?
if system is up telnet in and run eeprom and check them.

2.The cable and adaptor you originally used, are they what you are using at this time?

Older systems required a cable or adaptor to switch pins 2 (transmit) and pin 3 (receive)

The v210 pin 3 (transmit) and pin 6 (receives) so you need a cable or adaptor that has pin 3 (from v210 transmit) to pin 3 (220r receive), pin 6 (v210 receive) to pin 2 (220 r transmit).

What I believe is happening is you are connecting but since your pins are not correct your keyboard can not send any signal therefore you don't get a prompt, if you hit enter nothing is being received by the v210.

Thanks

Chris Adams

hi Chris,

I just went back to Radio Shak adn bought another 9pin and 25pin null modem connector, and still no good.
I did check on 220R and output / input are all ok. still hangs on the connect.

if you have any ideas, please let me know. I do appreciate your help and time. If I find the solution I will post.

thank you

./antonio/.

./antonio elder prado/.
.\mountain view, ca\.
./bauru, sao paulo/.

antonioelderprado;

are you able to telnet to the v210?

if yes you need to check the input-device and output-device on that.

output-device should be ttya
input-device can be ttya or keyboard

Also the null modem adaptor, do you know how the wires are set in that?

If the v210 is not in production power it off or telnet in and do a shutdown. Pull the keyboard and mouse out if they are attached.

Plug your ethernet cable into the serial mgt port on the v210, plug the other end of the ethernet cable to your null modem adaptor which you are attaching to the 220R serial port A.

On the 220R run tip /dev/term/a -9600

power on the v210 and you should get output.

If no output then either your ethernet cable is not straight through or something is up with your v210 nvram settings.

If you receive output it will come to the ok prompt, or boot depending on what auto-boot is set to. If you hit enter and nothing happens then your null modem adaptor pins are not setup properly.

I apologize for stateing things you are already aware of but need to make sure all steps are being done.

I have a v210 in house which I have messed around with trying to figure out your issue, the only way I can repeat your problem is if I use an improperly setup null modem adaptor. I am going from the v210 to a 280r.

Thanks

CA

Chris,

still no cigar...

just for the peace of my mind: the ethernet cable that you mention, is a rj45 with the other end a 9pin (black).
I have from 220, on port A, a 25ping connected and the other side 9pin I have connected the null modem adaptor 9pin.
I do connect the 9pin adaptor to the rj-45 9ping.

this is what I got.

v210: mgt serial:<RJ45-cable-9p><9p--null modem connector-9p><9pin ----25pin>: 220R

I cannot telnet to 210 it has connection refused. I can see from ping that the machine is alive.

the cables that I am using are new and the same as I used before...

hey, I just want to thank you, and if you come up with some light on this, please let me know.

once again, I appreciate your help.

./antonio/.

./antonio elder prado/.
.\mountain view, ca\.
./bauru, sao paulo/.

antonioelderprado;

If you open up your null modem adaptor this is how the pinout should be;

RJ45F WIRE COLOR DB25P
1 - RTS BLACK 5 - CTS
2 - DTR YELLOW 6 - DSR
3 - TXD ORANGE 3 - RXD
4 - GND RED 7 - GND
5 - GND GREEN
6 - RXD BROWN 2 - TXD
7 - DSR GREY 20 - DTR
8 - CTS BLUE 4 - RTS

besides that I will keep looking.

ca

hi Chris,

as you can see I keep on coming back to the V210. I keep on doing the reg. administration, and keep on trying.

once again, I believe you are right on the cable and connections not being right.

going to the basics, do you mind to just take a look on what I have and correct on when I am wrong.

1. on v210 on console mgr
I do conneect a Rj45 :
the cable for rj45 is it a regular cat5 (those used for lan network - roundish) or needs to be one of those flat serial cable (usually blue) ?

2. on 220R port A (or B),
I connect the other end of the cable from rj45 (flat or cat5 ?) to a db25pin connector male and plug into the port A of my sun.

3. the command is tip /dev/term/a -9600,

and I should have the connect and then the prompt...

Chris,

I know I keep on asking you (being you kind enough to keep on answering), and believe me I do thank you very much.

./antonio/.

./antonio elder prado/.
.\mountain view, ca\.
./bauru, sao paulo/.

antonioelderprado;

your setup

1. on v210 on console mgr
I do conneect a Rj45 :
the cable for rj45 is it a regular cat5 (those used for lan network - roundish) or needs to be one of those flat serial cable (usually blue) ?

2. on 220R port A (or B),
I connect the other end of the cable from rj45 (flat or cat5 ?) to a db25pin connector male and plug into the port A of my sun.

3. the command is tip /dev/term/a -9600,

***my setup

parts needed, a null modem adaptor(non standard) which I made or (sun part#530-2889, this is for communications with netra systems)

a regular rj45 ethernet cable, does not need to be flat.

plug ethernet cable into SERIAL MGT PORT on v210 and the other end into the null modem adaptor which is attached to serial port A on 220r.

run command tip /dev/term/a -9600 on the 220r

you should be good to go.

FYI if you do not have anything attached to the serial port on the 220r and type tip /dev/term/a -9600 you will still get ouput saying connected, so seeing connected really does not tell us much.

Also when you bought your v210 you should have received a null modem adaptor.

thanks

Chris Adams

Chris,

FINALLY !!!!!

I did the easy way, I got the cat5 from the mgmt console direct to a null modem connector and this to a COM 1 of windows xp. I got the prompt right away...

it is not the ideal, but considering being Friday, it is a good deal.

Chris, thank you for your emails, tips, and patience.

Peace,

./antonio/.

./antonio elder prado/.
.\mountain view, ca\.
./bauru, sao paulo/.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back