Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another question importing a text file to MySQL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNorman

Programmer
Feb 7, 2005
US
Hey, I've looked at the other issues involving importing a text file and it appears my situation is different. I have a web host which provides me with a MySQL database, however, I also use the MySQL Administrator on my XP PRO machine at home. I use it to log into my account on the web host and can do some work that way. I'd really like to import a text file to a table but I can't figure how to do it.

Hopefully I've provided enough info for you to help me.

Thanks

Your situation is different because your file is located on your client machine instead of on the server, right?

In that case, you can use[tt]
LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE 'filepath' ...[/tt]
instead of[tt]
LOAD DATA INFILE 'filepath' ...[/tt]

Yes, my file is located on my machine and I need to load it to MySQL over on my web host's server.

Where would I do that command your suggesting?

thanks

You could use MySQL Query Browser (which is accessible from MySQL Administrator) or any other MySQL client program.

I have MySQL Administrator 1.0.21 which I believe is the latest free version of MySQL and I couldn't find the Query Browser on it.

I'm currently looking to see if there is a newer version available.

thanks for your help.

MySQL Query Browser is a separate download, from the MySQL site.

Thanks again!!!!! I found it and downloaded it and hopefully I won't have a problem importing the text file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back