Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another query about SIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman50

Technical User
Jan 8, 2011
GB
I have a 3300 CX MCD 5.1 which has a Polycom Kirk DECT system piggy backed on it. Which works really well except...if I programme a multicall key with the incoming ddi and set it to delay ring it rings immediatly rather than after the delay....

Now as this is SIP its a bit confusing (the phone is programmed from the mitel in the normal forms) but anyone any ideas as to where to start looking in MCD to see if its that or the Kirk? I have a tech support query into Kirk as well.

Thanks

Tony

Set at 10 secs just like the standard user (I have a specific COS for the SIP DECT. Good thought though.

Is the SIP profile set to make use of features as defined in the 3300 or features of the handset?

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Do you mean the SIp device capabilities form? if so then its enabled as per the help file instructions.

Ok so the question becomes does SIP support delayed ringing? The 3300 will be signalling that the SIP device has a incoming call. Is there a method within SIP for a telling the SIP device to indicate an incoming call but don't ring? I have no idea.

P.S tested on my Bria iPhone SIP client and its just rings, even if the single line appearance is set to "no ring". Doesn't matter if the SIP device capabilities form is set to features controller by device or the 3300.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Pretty sure SIP signaling doesn't have that as an option. To be honest, even if it did, I doubt anyone on the receiving end would implement it. SIP is a big beast and typically, vendors just implement what they need to get by.

Can I ask the question, in what context would you want an endpoint to 'get a call', yet not ring? Or by 'ring' do you just mean the physical noise, but the line appearance is there?

In the context of, a multicall key that is set to delay ring. Its simply a backup phone for the receptionists but they wanted a chance to answer the calls before sending to the delay ring phones in the multicall group.

I suspect that the delayed ring will not be supported because the phones are not directley connected to the 3300 but by another controller which is in control of the dect phones. hence the delay ring would have to be on the dect controller. I think.

Still think its the lack of support in SIP that is the issue. However the feature would have to be supported by both SIP and the DECT controller for it to function.

Delayed ring is supposedly supported by SIP on the 3300 but not on the other controller so I have comne to the conclusion it won't work.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I still don't see the connection between the other controller and the 3300 and where the SIP comes in.
So you have:

External --> Connection A --> 3300 --> Connection B --> Kirk --> Phones

What are Connections A and B?
Are the the phones programmed on the 3300 or on the Kirk?

To me, for delayed ring, the 3300 would simply do this:

Rx Call, Call Primary, Sets Timer. At that point one of two things happen, either the primary answers and it kills the timer, or the timer expires and it cancels the call to the primary and then rings the group. I don't see why it would matter if the endpoints are SIP or not.

external=>SIP Trunk=>3300=> Controller via network=> Kirk SIP controller=> DECT SIP phones.

So I think its failing at the 3300 to Kirk controller as that is geting a ring signal from the 3300 regardless of the delay ring setting. The phones are set as Generic SIP phones BTW and programmed on the 3300 but the Kirk does all the work and conmtrolls the calls I have been told.

Hmmm. For simplicity sake, if you have set A as the primary and set B as the delay ring set, you'd see an invite come into the 3300 for set A, and then you'd see an invite from the 3300 to the Kirk for set A and one for set B at the same time?

But the trouble seems to be that the Kirk handles the actual call for the handsets even though they are programmed on the 3300. For instance once the call is set up it bypasses the 3300 and the Kirk handles it (i.e. the RTP goes via the Kirk controller to the default gateway not Kirk - 3300 - default gateway)unless you need to hold and transfer, then the Kirk does the hold and transfer using the 3300 as its endpoint...... I don't think simple comes into this anywhere.

Be careful, the streaming will ALWAYS bypass the 3300, unless it's physically on hold or in a conference, but the SIGNALLING should always go through the 3300 in your setup.

Do you have a tcpdump/wireshark trace of a call (taken at the 3300)? If so, I can take a look at it.

Not at present need to go back to site at some point.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back