Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

another preloader question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugg

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
US
ok, I've got an interface mc that gets (12) external .swf files loaded into it for its content.

The interface mc's frist 100 frames or so are the splash (which on slow connections, finishes its gratuitous little sliding around before everything is loaded) and I'd like to incorporate a preloader (maybe one that extends the grey field as a progress bar) The trick of it is, I'd like the preloader to monitor all (12) of the external .swf's progress, not each one individually... as I load all (12) of the .swfs simultaneously rather than one after the other. As I'm sure it is doable, a more relavent question may be: is this reasonable, or is it going to be more headache than its worth? Maybe I divide the distance of the grey field into 12 and let each subdivided section of the field act as an independant progress bar for each .swf? Any suggestions out there?

On a side note, I've been having difficulty accessing arrays of mc targets, sometimes it works, sometimes not, but the coding is essentially the same... typically what I'm doing is passing a function like so...

_root.exampleFunction (x);

where "x" is an integer corresponding to an array element I wish to pass in the function like so...

(this is all in a "storage" frame at the opening of the main mc)

exampleArray = new Array (mc_01, mc_02, mc_03, mc_04);

function exampleFunction (x) {
_root.anotherFunction (_root.exampleArray [x])
}
function anotherFunction (targetMC) {
targetMC._visible = 0;
}

are there any issues with using targets in arrays that I'm obviously unaware of? I've gone through about a hundred different iterations of the coding, using "_root. " and not, using quotations around target names and not, etc. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason as to why it works in some places and not in others. If anybody is interested in seeing the specific code, I can e-mail it, post it, whatever...

thanks for any help anybody might be able to offer...

-bugg

I have two connections. Cable and my old 56k dial-up. Curiously (first time I've seen that!), although streaming, the 56k connection sort of works fine and loads and plays all projects. My cable connection doesn't! The movie stops at the end of what I guess is your splash page. No text, no pictures slide... No buttons react!

Can do much with a .swf. Can you at least upload your interface.fla to your site and provide a link to down;load it from there?

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

ummmmm, that's wierd...

lol.

I'll try and set a up a spot to download the file (this is a new one to me, so bear with me, it may take a while...)

thanks for the quick response
-bugg

Just had a 2 hour power failure, just after I posted. Got the .fla, but it's quite late here... Will maybe look into this in the morning.
Nighty!

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

oldnewbie-

sorry to pester, but have you by any chance had a minute to look at that .fla?

thanks much

-bugg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back