Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Newbie Pattern Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidoran

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
OK, Thanks to Nate, I am happily using all my PSP patterns. BUT...

In PSP I would angle, rotate, and scale the patterns. So far, I haven't found how to do that in PhotoShop. Any more suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi again,

What do you mean you angle them? After they have been filled in? or do you want to angle them, then fill in the patterns once they have been angled?

Or something else?
relax.gif

In Paint Shop Pro, I can change the angle of the pattern to any set degree (for the projects I typically work on, 55 degrees is the angle I use). For example, a plaid pattern placed on a piece of furniture that is 3D and on a 45 degree perspective must be angled to look right. You can't use the flat, face-on view. Also, 100% scale is often WAY too large. I like to choose a pattern and then fill it at 20-40% size.

Does that make any sense?

~Beth

Not really? Sorry I don't really follow what you want to do here?

Do you just want to make it look like your patterns are all tiled together but have them angled at 55 degress as a while and filled into an object? Is that what you want?

relax.gif

Yes, I believe we are talking about the same thing. You can go to and see an example of the type of objects I'm working on, if that will help you understand what I'm trying to do.

Thanks!

OK,

I think we're getting closer to the answer you want:

Which effect out of these 2 is correct:

or

The first one has the regular pattern on the left and the rotated version of the pattern on the right side.

The second one's pattern is still the same but the area that it is applied to is rotated.

Which one of those are you looking for? Or are those not correct either?
relax.gif

Thanks for your patience with me. Effect one is the one I'm looking for. I want to rotate the pattern to apply it to the object rather than rotate the object itself.

Thanks
~Beth

Ok,

This is going to be really fun, there are a few steps involved. There is no way to do this (that I know of) but there is a workaround. (You will have to do this to every pattern one at a time)

Open a new document size (triple that of what you are working with) for both width and height, then EDIT > FILL and choose pattern from the dropdown, choose the actual pattern from the second dropdown. Then with your big document filled with only your pattern you will want to free-transform Ctrl+T and up in the options bar there is a little angle icon that would say 0, enter in your angle then press the little checkmark on the right hand side of the options palette.

Now you have a tiled pattern that has been angled, and from here you now have 2 options:

1 - Select > All, Copy, Paste it into your other document as a layer, hide that layer temporarily, then goto say your couch layer and goto Select > Load Selection (press ok when the dialog box comes up) and then with the marquee still highlighted goto that layer you just pasted in and make sure that it is selected and showing, then simply Copy, and then Paste into the same document and hide or delete the big pattern layer. Now you will have the shape of a couch with your tiled pattern that is rotated. After wards you might have to play with some blending modes to get it to look nice.

2 - Instead of copying the rotated layer in, select the rectangular marquee and make a square marquee making sure that the pattern is within the marquee and that you dont capture any transparent space (you will see what I mean by that after you rotate, the corners look cutoff), then Edit > Define Pattern and goto your other document and do Edit > Fill with that new pattern.

It's a bit of a mouthful, but that is the only way I can think of how to do it right now, there might be an easier way but I have yet to come across it.

Hope this helps!
relax.gif

Hi Nate,

Sorry for the delay. I had a bit of a fall on the ice that knocked me unconscious and scrambled my eggs a bit. I've been recovering and not working much on the computer...

Anyway, I appreciate your response. I did try your method and it does work, but it sure is more difficult than PSP. I've decided to continue to use PSP for that particular aspect of my work.

It's always nice to learn new things and who knows, that might come in handy with another project. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back