Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another MAI Naming Contest...This time a REAL prize ! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
(Previous MAI "Naming" Contests:
thread1256-1119910 (SantaMufasa: 08 Sep 2005),
thread1256-1128199 (MiniMufasa [my daughter]: 26 Sep 2005),
thread1256-1383890 (DeepDiverMom: 02 Jul 2007

So...it's been awhile since our last "Naming"-fest.)

The Prize: Gift Certificate -- Dinner for Two at a nice restaurant local to the winner.

The Challenge: Submit names or themes that appropriately brand a new offering (ITSM) from our IT organization. Here is the (only) description that I have received, so far, regarding the offering:
Collateral said:
IT Service Management (ITSM) is a discipline for managing information technology (IT) systems that is focused on meeting customer needs at a level of quality they can afford. ITSM helps IT organizations meet user expectations by understanding and managing the complicated relationships among infrastructure components, including networks, applications, and databases.

ITSM will help us manage the services that we deliver and support for our customers. It will ensure that the future of our organization is built on best practice processes, supported by leading technology solutions that will be scalable for supporting the continued growth of the organization. It will help us do more with less.

ITSM will help us better meet our customer’s needs. Over the coming months, there will be training, workshops, service definition sessions, technology implementations, and process changes. Each of us will eventually be users of the new processes and systems.
The collateral that I have received refers to this offering as a discipline. I have e-mailed to appropriate managers, a request to determine if the organization also considers ITSM to be a "service", or a "product", or a "department", or a "standard", or a "manual", or a "methodology", or a "quality-assurance activity", or something else. As soon as I receive a response to my inquiry, I'll post it here to assist MAI-ers in creating their submissions.

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, March 10, 19:00 hrs.(Mountain Standard Time: UTC -7).

Winner-Selection Process: Our organization has an impartial judging board. If the judges select one of your MAI submissions, then you win the Gift Certificate I mentioned, above, and I will announce that Grand-Prize-winning selection here in this thread.

If the judging board does not select an MAI submission, then we MAI-ers will make our own recognitions for honorable mentions from our submissions in this thread. (But the gift certificate won't apply in that case.)

Keep in mind that the organization is very conservative/image conscious, so radical, fringy, or overly comical submissions (et cetera) won't work well with the judging board (but...We MAI-ers will certainly enjoy such submissions[2thumbsup]). So, to win the gift certificate, make submissions that the judging board will seriously consider.

If you need any clarifications, please post your inquiries here, and I'll try to get answers as soon as possible.

Have fun with this!

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

BTW, judging by the (lack of) response to this contest, naming our ITSM is not droll enough to lure any serious takers. Could that be true? Or perhaps the "dinner out" prize is not enticing enough? Let me know.

[santa]Mufasa
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Object-Based Application Migration Assistant (OBAMA) - "Change you can believe in!

I don't really understand what you're looking for, Santa... it looks to me like they have already given it a name ("ITSM")... so why does it need to have two names? Or is this a name for an application (or something else) that implements the ITSM policy/discipline/methodology/lifecycle/whatever?

Annihilannic.

Santa I'd love to but I'm not very creative with language.

MinTech? Managing Information Technology

BigBadBen - I'd found the regular ones, missed the links at the top. [cannon] [bugeyed]

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

MIT? on the same words as above.

IT AYS = IT At Your Service. It could be pronounced ACE. Then again, it could also be pronounced another way. [censored]

I think that maybe something like "ITs Your Way" says that you are tailoring the service offering to the customer's individual needs.

Make them feel special?

Not that this one applies to this this challenge, but during the design and testing phase of one of my first projects, I (temporarily) named the software...

Administrative Information Software System (AISS)

after what I thought of my boss at the time... :)

Framework for Enabling Technical Assistance (FETA). I know - it's a little cheesy.

How about Framework for Enabling, Managing and Allocating (FEMA). It's there for you in times of trouble.
I told my doctor he shouldn't take me off those pills [dazed].

Paul

Middleman" Which is all they are. If you need instructions on how to deal with your customers, maybe you need a new career. Enablers!

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

Bridge Information Technology Services (BITS)
(Closing the gap, making accessible etc. - and the "Bridge" came to mind before the BITS)
Liaison ITS (LITS)
Also like Touchstone ITS (I'm a lady and not going there)
And Cornerstone/Foundation - but there are a billion of those on Google.

I'm losing track So for everyone's benefit

Focus - Image Statement
Financed - Anagram/Acronym
ITS4U - Vanity License Plate usage
FIT - Acronym
LIMIT - Acronym
MUMBOJUMBO - Humour Assumed
HOT STUFF, HaWTHEAD, IT Without The Headache - Acronym mix
Soaring Eagle - Patriotic without fixed direction
OBAMA - Acronym
MINTECH, MIT - Acronyms
IT AYS - Acronym
ITs Your Way - Image Statement
AISS - Acronym - Pronounced?
FETA - Acronym - Humour? - a little cheesy
FEMA - Definitely Humour
Middleman - Humour
BITS , LITS , Touchstone ITS - Acronyms - Image statement

I agree with Strongm - Focus leading for real entry

FETA for humour in my book - I didn't get it immediately

ITSM is an "enabling framework" by which services and products are delivered. This includes processes, tools and people. Presently, our core enablement systems are point solutions, with minimal and immature integration. ITSM will transform the organization to a more mature level by implementing mature processes and tools, while managing the effect this will have on our people and culture.

They're going to deliver people? A physicians group, then.

Can you break this down into plain English, please? What exactly will ITSM do for the client? As far as making an organization more mature... I've been in IT for 30+ years, I'm mature enough already. [wink]

People spend time trying to obfuscate instead of communicate.

No more ranting... [soapbox]

Dave, we are now 5 days past the submission deadline...did you use any of the suggestions posted here? If so, who won?

Thanks for asking, RJoubert. All, please do not be offended if yours was not one of the submissions. I submitted the following. (I must confirm when the organization plans on announcing the winning submission.):

Focus - Image Statement
FIT - (Framework for IT Services acronym)
LIMIT - (Less Is More Information Technology acronym)
OBAMA - (Object-Based Application Migration Assistant acronym)
MINTECH (MinTech? Managing Information Technology
acronym)
ITs Your Way - Image Statement
BITS (Bridge Information Technology Services acronym)

Thanks for your taking the time to contribute. I'll let you know as soon as a winner surfaces.

[santa]Mufasa

FYI, not that this matters much but in Southside Virginia, BITS = Buggs Island Telephone System. Soon to be a world leader in phone and internet systems. [lol]

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

==> Soon to be a world leader in phone and internet system
Yep, taking over the world, BITS by BITS.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

The judging board has chosen a winning entry for naming our ITSM discipline. (Unfortunately, their choice did not come from our Tek-Tips/Making and Impression contributions):
ITSM Judging Announcement said:
Thank you to everyone who submitted suggestions for naming the ITSM program. The organization received nearly 80 entries that were very creative and thought-provoking.

After careful review, the name selected by the impartial board is transIT (pronounced “transit”). The board felt that the entry established a vision of movement from where the IT organization is today to a new level of service maturity. They also thought we could leverage transportation references throughout the program.
Although the winning entry was not one of our submissions, I believe that they made a quality choice.

Thanks very much for your submissions. (I am told that there will be additional opportunities for us to contribute naming ideas for other offerings. When the opportunities arise, I'll post them here for you to contribute.)

[santa]Mufasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back