Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Exchange server for OWA?!? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamuk

Technical User
May 12, 2006
US
I have a fully patched Exchange 2003 server behind a checkpoint firewall.

I want to get OWA going so I am rumaging through books online to learn how this is to be done.

In reading the following link I am to understand that I need to install a "Second" Exchange Server for the "Frontend". Please tell me that I'm not required to purchase ANOTHER Exchange server?

Zamuk

yes, I get a logon window with:

Server.domain.internetdomain.com\administrator
Example: Mailbag.indigo.indigoservice.com\administrator

when I change the administrator to Zamuk I'm unable to log in saying Access deniied. I did verify that my AD account has access.

Anything else I need to be aware of?

So, am I to take it that I just need to put a check in the box "This is a Frontend server"?

Then configure checkpoint to allow OWA to pass data to my exchange server?

Zamuk

Hello,

You wont need to check this server as a front end server if it is a sole exchange server.

OWA is by default setup on port 80, unless you enable SSL. Depending on how this is setup in your IIS, these ports will need to be opened on your firewall to allow access.

Has the user got OWA enabled on the user account properties?

Are you putting the username is the following format...

domain\username

/Fandab

yes, I have verified that the AD user has been giving permission to use OWA.

I will verify with the Checkpoint Firewall folks to verify that OWA can be used from within our network, as well as for users from the outside.

I've got IIS up and running on my sole Exchange box. I'm going to bring up the Help menu and see where it guides me as far as making sure that IIS is configured properly for OWA.

From the way MS leads me to believe from reading on thier website, OWA on an Exchange 2k3 server is pretty much an easy thing to get up and running. /smirk

Zam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back