Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another event server issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiergirl

Programmer
Jan 9, 2006
US
Has anyone had experiences with the event server not starting correctly? We just rebooted the server that Mercator is on - I restarted the service and it appeared to start, but management console won't connect. When the service started, it seemed to have started too quickly and then stops too quickly. Any ideas what might cause this?

Have you checked Launcher.txt to see if there are any errors upon starting?

I think skiergirl is running 7.5.*. If so the launcher file is gone and she'll need to check the log files in the 'DSTX7.5(mercator7.5)\logs' folder.

eytry is correct but there is an option we could uncomment the launcher ";LauncherLog=ewsc" in the .ini file and directed to your specific location.

Check that you created the user and privillages.
Check the port settings.

I don't believe that works in 7.5. At least it didn't when I tested 7.5... Ascential said the laucher file was gone so.... let me know if you have it working... that means it will probably work in 8.0 to.

(call me odd but its one of the reasons I recommended we not move to that version.)

Man, the first question I've ever tried to answer on this forum and I got it wrong. :)

If you use Launcherlog=esc (I don't care about warnings), it will create a file in the /logs directory: compoundsystem.txt or msl_timestamp_.txt

No reason not to go to 8.0. The file can be created and there is more debugging capability in 8.0 than any version previous.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

I guess on the same topic, is there an order to gracefully shut down/bounce the event server?

1: EventServerServ.exe first
2: Mercntsvns.exe
3: All other external apps

Or does it not matter?

1. Pause the Event server from the Management Console.
2. Stop the Event Server from the MC.
3. UNIX: eventserver.sh -stop <port#>
3.b Windows: Go to Services windows and stop the Event Server service.
4. Stop anything that the Event Server connects to.

If you trigger from a DB or MQ etc. and you reboot the server, and you have the Event Server set to autostart, it could come up before other processes do, and cause a start up failure. You would need to set up your system to start everything the ES needs before you start the ES.

BocaBurger

All, thanks for all the replies... I created logs and I'm embarrassed to say that the laucher file was missing... Thanks!!!

Boca, for some reason, when we use the MC to pause/stop/start, some of the changes and generated msl's aren't relaized. Any ideas?

Therefore, we use component services to accomplish the pause/stop/restart.

BUT, sometimes component services "times out", so we are forced to use Task Manager.

So, in task manager, is there an order to stop executables?

BTW, this is on 6.7 (208) Win2K sp4

and before you say it, 6.7.1 is already being tested on another server and 8.0 is on it's way. :)

You have to stop the Service for some types of changes to show up.

Look at the launcher.txt.

You can kill a service from task manager, but this is not a clean way to do this. If you want transactional integrity, follow above method.

Killing a running map can cause all sorts of problems.

BocaBurger

You shouldn't get the launcher file.... Once you've set the ini file as described above the 'compoundsystem.txt or msl_timestamp_.txt' should appear in the logs directory.... You can also try turning on the debug option in the management console.. That will override your ini file setting and create a file in the logs folder as well.

In W2K and DSTX6.7.1 the Event Server sometimes hangs when trying to close it down from the Management Console. I have experienced this mainly with the JMS adapter. This can only be overcome by closing the Event Server from Windows. Close the Windows service. This wil leave the process mercntsvns.exe running. You then need to kill this process. It won't go away by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back