Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another DirectX problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunka

Programmer
Jul 14, 2003
GB
I have been trying to run a program that wishes to have DX 8.1. I have DX 9, and I know that there are problems between G cards and DX 9 but the program says that DX 8.1 isn't installed even when I reinstall DX 8.1 that comes on the disk! The program wont run and I'm stuck (again!) any help on what I can do? Everything else works fine with DX 9 installed just this program.

are you trying to run a software or a game...most of the G cards works finely with DX 9

jina01@hotmail.com

Game! The intro works then when it tries to access the game itself the popup window of DX8.1 isn't installed comes up. Then an error message and the thing closes to windows.
not had the same problems with any other game! Do you know what I could do!?

Have looked in the Dxdiag but there wasn't any error messages, all seemed to be fine!!! Have tried to re-install Dx9 to see if that helped, of course not! Could it be the game itself!? Perhaps a replacement would work or is it a more underlying problem?

I appreciate the help.

I dont think you can successfully install DX 8 after DX9. The last time I saw someone try to install an older version it got quite messy. MS say that you cant uninstall DX. Maybe someone else has more technical knowledge about the why's. I would look at the game's web site for patches to allow DX9 to be used.

Peter G

Go to the game website and see if it has had problems with dx. i have used game sites many times to resolve issues with my pc.

Is this game by any chance Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 (it may not be...)? If so, there is a fix for it, jsut search google. Do the same if it inst SFC3.

Good guess 'Whybecause' that's the game!
And before you lot judge me for this game, it was cheap and it looked good! Plus now it works well!
After some surfing it seems that the game did have a prob with DX9 and the patch was available to download.
Is this gonna happen with alot of games/programs? I've heard that DX9 is having alot of problems, infact it seems to me that it's the only DX that seems to have had problems!
Is this an inherent flaw in the program or the incompatibility of the mirriad of different cards/systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back