Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Currval Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nlaivlys

Programmer
Oct 22, 2004
US
I am fairly new to PostgreSQL. I am in the process of converting a MySQL script to postgresql. The mysql script includes a line that reads:
INSERT INTO OVERLAY VALUES
(NULL,LAST_INSERT_ID(),'Grey Standard','basemap',1,'png','y',-1,0,NOW(),NOW()),
(NULL,LAST_INSERT_ID(),'Brown Standard','basemap1',1,'png','y',-1,0,NOW(),NOW());

I am trying to figure out how to get this exact function in the pstgresql db. So far I have this:
CREATE SEQUENCE OVERLAY_SEQ;

CREATE TABLE OVERLAY (
OVERLAY_ID SERIAL DEFAULT nextval('OVERLAY_SEQ'),
PACKAGE_ID SMALLINT NOT NULL,
NAME VARCHAR(64) NOT NULL,
Z_INDEX SMALLINT NOT NULL,
FILE_EXTENSION CHAR(3) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY OVERLAY_ID,
FOREIGN KEY (PACKAGE_ID) REFERENCES PACKAGE PACKAGE_ID)
);

I am trying to use the insert command:
INSERT INTO OVERLAY VALUES
(DEFAULT,currval('OVERLAY_SEQ'),'Grey Standard','basemap',1,'png','y',-1,0,NOW(),NOW()),
(DEFAULT,currval('OVERLAY_SEQ'),'Brown Standard','basemap1',1,'png','y',-1,0,NOW(),NOW())
;

And of course - it's not working. I receive this error message:
psql:create_database.sql:31: ERROR: syntax error at or near "nextval" at character 59

Can anyone help me? I have done a million searches on Google (postgresql currval(), postgresql last_insert_id(), etc.) and still have been unable to come up with a solution. Any help or direction is much appreciated! Thanks, Syl

in postgresql you cannot insert two rows in one insert you should do it with two

(it still cat be done in one query, when separate the two inserts with ; )

also it looks strange that you insert the sequence value in other field PACKAGE_ID!! why?

and actually the number of fields you try to insert doesn't have anything to do with the fields in the table (there are no date fields and etc.)

I'm not too sure how to use the sequence identifier. As for the date fields - I simply cut out some of the declarations in the overlay table. I cannot seem to get the auto increment field to work. Is there anything else I can do to fix that auto increment field?

The good news is, I have figured out what the problem was with the above query - I was using the wrong field as the auto increment. However, once one problem is solved, another pops up. I am looking into how to perform an insert into a table using a select statement. Here are the 3 queries I am trying to perform:
INSERT INTO WX_PREFERENCE SELECT DEFAULT,WX_USER.USER_ID,DEFAULT_PREFERENCE.X_POINT,DEFAULT_PREFERENCE.Y_POINT,DEFAULT_PREFERENCE.SCALE,NOW(),NOW() FROM WX_USER,DEFAULT_PREFERENCE;

INSERT INTO PACKAGE_PREFERENCE SELECT DEFAULT,WX_PREFERENCE.PREFERENCE_ID,DEFAULT_PACKAGE_PREFERENCE.PACKAGE_ID,DEFAULT_PACKAGE_PREFERENCE.VISIBLE,DEFAULT_PACKAGE_PREFERENCE.TREE_STATE_VIEW FROM WX_PREFERENCE,DEFAULT_PACKAGE_PREFERENCE;

INSERT INTO OVERLAY_PREFERENCE
SELECT DEFAULT,PACKAGE_PREFERENCE.PACKAGE_PREFERENCE_ID,DEFAULT_OVERLAY_PREFERENCE.OVERLAY_ID,DEFAULT_OVERLAY_PREFERENCE.VISIBLE
FROM PACKAGE_PREFERENCE,DEFAULT_OVERLAY_PREFERENCE
WHERE PACKAGE_PREFERENCE.PACKAGE_ID = DEFAULT_OVERLAY_PREFERENCE.PACKAGE_ID;

Does anyone see what is wrong with my syntax. I get these errors:
ERROR: syntax error at or near "," at character 34
ERROR: syntax error at or near "," at character 34
ERROR: syntax error at or near "DEFAULT" at character 34
ERROR: syntax error at or near "DEFAULT" at character 39
ERROR: syntax error at or near "DEFAULT" at character 41

Nothing else is mentioned though.

you cannot use DEFAULT like that try using something like

insert into table_name (list_of_values, comma_separated) values select blah, blah2 .... from ....

Thank you - it worked by listing the values and leaving off the default incrementer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back