Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another case of long logon :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansonng

MIS
Feb 16, 2003
AU
Hi all,

I am using windows xp pro sp1 with all the latest patches. All the while my logon time is very fast, when i keyed in my password, I will immediately see my desktop icons popping up and programs in the startup folder running.

Few days ago, I am not sure what went wrong when I was using my excel to insert some word document, at the end, I get a blue screen of death. Since then, I am experiencing long bootup time (almost 1 min) when I login to my system.

I deleted all the files in my prelaunch folder, did a defrag, and am sure my system is clean of virus, however these still never solve my problem. I did a bootvis at the end, and I found out that my logon+services actually took me 35 seconds to finish. I am not sure is this normal. Nowadays when I login to my system, instead of the old desktop icon popping up in few seconds, it will just show my standard xp wallpaper and i will have to go and have a cup of tea before i can see my desktop icons poping up... How do I go back to the old days of fast logon? :(

Any idea?

Did you doublecheck the startup sequence? Maybe that Office junk got put in there?

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

If it were me:

. I would read the system log files for a complete description of your Blue Screen error. Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

. I would do a RAM test:
. I would then use a restore point, to a date previous to the error condition.

. or in the absence of restore points, I would do an in-place upgrade repair of XP:
Be certain to spend some time at the Windows Update site if you do the in-place upgrade/repair process.

Hmm I checked my event viewer and saw a few warnings saying the performance library cannot be loaded blah blah. But also I noticed one thing. Whenever I am loging in, my screen still freeze at my wallpaper for some time. However, if I just press ESC key, my desktop icons will start appearing and startup applications start running. So I think during the login process there must be something my system trying to load yet cannot find the files. I am wondering how do I see the login process so that I can find out what went wrong?

Also, thanks for your replies guys. Jontmke, you mentioned about startup sequence, are you referring to the programs in the windows\startup folder? As for the restore, I am not confident about doing that yet. I've never done it before and don't really know what will happen if I do that. Besides this, I don't really remember when to restore back to.

Thank you again.

Check msconfig for all the different locations for startup programs. (start\run "msconfig")

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I think msconfig is for Win98? I tried to run this command in my XP machine and it is not here. Any other command I can run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back