Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Backup Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon007

Programmer
Oct 23, 2007
US
We are running 2003 Server with about 20 GB of data. I was looking into the Maxtor 160GB OneTouch. My question is can it be hot pluged with out powering down the server when we swap the drives out. I know todays mother boards want fry if you do hot plug a usb device but I wanted to make sure the drve would start and be ok? Any thoughts

Never seen a motherboard or USB drive fry when hot-plugging a USB device - that's one of the points to USB - the ability to do that. You have a much greater risk of corrupting the data if you don't "stop" the device appropriately.

You might want to review my web page on backups -

Included in this is a recommendation that you have at least 3 of these drives so you take at least one off-site for an off-site backup - and a note to make sure you use the NTFS file system - FAT32 has a 4GB max file size limit - which could cause problems, especially if you use the built in backup program.

Thanks guys I came up with a solution so I don’t have to disconnect, plus I don’t like the idea of taking the hard drive off site this would have its own risk. Ok here it is and it works great.

I bought a media, water, and fire rated safe that will hold up to 2hrs of fire protection at 1500 degrees. Now I secured it to the concrete floor with the pre prepared wholes that are in the bottom of the safe, they are also in the lid of the safe as-well. On the lid part I drilled two wholes to allow the cables to come threw to the two hard drives inside. After that I caulked the wholes with 3M Fire barrier caulk that turns in to a very nice rubber fire resistant barrier. This might not work in a building that has a lot of fuel to burn for a long period of time but our building that is built out of steal, and concrete and the only fuel to burn would be the drywall, I don’t see it reaching that hot, and defiantly not for 2hrs. Oh and the caulk is rate for two hours also.

The Caulk is CB-25WB 3M
Safe is a Sentry Sams Club #748965

Oh yeah just for the people wondering what I secured the safe to the floor with. It was with 25 x 1/4 x 3" Fasciner’s shot in the concete with a concrete gun that accomplished this with 22 cal blanks. Nothing is impossible but it would take some work to get this out of the office in time before the police where called by the alarm company. Have a great new years.

Sounds good... but I ALWAYS recommend having an off site backup - even if you have a vault on grounds. External drives are relatively cheap - you should have multiple drives and rotate them off site and in the fireproof safe.

Well offsite has its on security risk in and of it self, but your right it would be wise to have it. If I was to do it in the future I would only let one person be responsible for changing out the drives then put them in a fire proof fault at the bank in a safe deposit box and rotate it out every month but I would never let an employee take the data home. My years as a cop have made me very security conscious, and we have a lot of personal info and I want to make sure it is not compromised. Have a great new year!

So don't take it home - there are companies that offer this kind of service - one, for example, is Iron Mountain.

And of course, your backups can be encrypted if need be using third party software - you might even get away using EFS on the backup drives. So having an employee take it home wouldn't be a significant risk.

Yeah the maxtor drive has encryption software with it but for now if I decide to take it off site we can do it with the bank just arround the courner, however when we build or buy our new building I will take extrem and costly measures to make certain we have the latest onsite setup to ensure we want have to take it off site. That will be when we have much more data than we do now. Thanks for all your help and the ideas are very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back