Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Audio question (red/white cord)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubieb

Technical User
Jul 2, 2006
On my bose wave radio, there are a red/white input for AUX and another red/white input below that for "Variable Out".

What is variable out? and how do I get it to play? Currently I have 2 things I want to hook up to this bose (my tv, and my ipod) but have to switch the one I want to use into the AUX each time.

What is 'variable out' and how can I use it?

Thanks again,
Hubie the Nubie

You can plug the other pair into variable out, but once you do, you will shut off the radio's speakers, get a splitter for the component cables and you should be fine.

Page 16 on the Bose manual gives you more info about the variable out.

============================
Hope this helps.

what do you mean "shut off the radio's speakers"? i dont use the 'radio' with this....I just plug my ipod and my TV into it and it sounds great. I will check out that link -- thanks

i just did a search for audio/video splitter cable on amazon and couldnt find anything. can you point me in the right direction? i dont want to get RIPPED OFF at circuit city / radioshack and pay $20 for this.

what I need is something that will allow me to play my ipod OR my TV through my bose wave radio. only 1 AUX output right now:(

hubiebrown,

What make and model is your TV?

Depending on what your TV has for inputs/outputs you may be able to connect your Ipod to an input on your TV and then with another cable connect the output from the TV to the input on the Bose. Using your AUX or Video 1..Video 2 button on your TV to switch between TV and Ipod.

What is 'variable out' and how can I use it?

The "variable" part of it usually means you can use the volume control to control the output. That would be useful only if you are plugging your radio into another audio component like a home stereo and need to boost or lower the signal.

Tony

maingeek -- good idea. i have the sharp aquos LC45D40URB. the inputs are plenty. how exactly should I do this?

ipod into TV --> TV into Bose wave radio? and TV sound into bose wave radio? switching inputs? I've never done this and could use a push in the right direction.

Thanks a million

Hubes

no offense, but i dont see how that "splitter" will help. it has a headphone jack...I already have a Y cord that plugs into headphone jacks (ipod,computer,whatever) and splits into red white. What I'm saying is, I only have 1 set of red/white AUX input in my bose, and I have 2 things (TV and IPOD) that I want to play sound from.

No offense taken, on your bose radio you have a red and white connection (the aux), if you have 2 male splitters you will have split that connection into an extra connection. Therefore you wouldn't have to unplug one to plug the other one. Did I lose you again?

=========================================
“You can actually become a role model for women.” - Jenna Jameson :)

completely lost now...but I like your Jenna quote:)

I am assuming that you are using some type of "Y" cable for your ipod. If so, plug the rca ends (red + white) into an audio input on the tv. You should then be able to toggle to that input with your tv remote or a button on the tv and hear the ipod music coming out of your tv speakers.

Then from the tv audio output to the audio input on the bose.

I have no idea what you have for ports on your tv but this is basically what you want to do.

The easiest way to achieve this is to use a descent stereo receiver. I have an onkyo receiver with everything piped through it. TV,DVD,Satelite,PS2,2 front channel,2 rear channel, 1 center and a sub. This way I can use my stero remote to control everything except for changing the channels on the satelite (couldn't find the code for the satelite receiver). Once I got it all setup I then went into the tv menu and disabled the speakers that are built into the tv set. This is just an example as to how I did it. I looked around the net for specs on your sharp aquos LC45D40URB to see what it has for ports but couldn't find anything.

Don't know if any of this was helpful.

VERY helpful. I will be printing this post to reference (i know it's not that complicated but it helps me when you spell it out like you did). How much should I expect to pay for a stereo receiver? I havent bought one in 8 years (paid $200, it broke several years later). Can anyone link me to a decent deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back