Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Access to Excel & run macro automatically... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondends

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have read a lot posts talking about this subject but i just can't get some of the replies to work. So i have decided to post my own question...

I want to export the contents of a query to a new excel file and then to run an excel macro (that formats the data - and sub totals) at the press of a command button.

So far this is the code that i have:

DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputTable, lcQueryName, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel8, strReportName, True, ""

This works but now for the bit i really cant seem to get right, i want to now run this macro code:

Cells.Select
Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("G2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Range("F2") _
, Order2:=xlAscending, Key3:=Range("B2"), Order3:=xlAscending, Header:= _
xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
DataOption1:=xlSortNormal, DataOption2:=xlSortTextAsNumbers, DataOption3 _
:=xlSortNormal
Selection.Subtotal GroupBy:=7, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(8, 9, 10, _
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, _
37, 38, 39), Replace:=True, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=True
Selection.AutoFormat Format:=xlRangeAutoFormatSimple, Number:=False, Font _
:=False, Alignment:=True, Border:=True, Pattern:=False, Width:=False

So how do i do it? This is really doing my head in now!!

Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions.

Chris

You may try something like this:
DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputTable, lcQueryName, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel8, strReportName, False, ""
Dim myWB As Excel.Workbook
Set myWB = GetObject(strReportName)
MyWB.Application.Cells.Sort Key1:=MyWB.Application.Range("G2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=MyWB.Application.Range("F2") _
, Order2:=xlAscending, Key3:=MyWB.Application.Range("B2"), Order3:=xlAscending, Header:= _
xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
DataOption1:=xlSortNormal, DataOption2:=xlSortTextAsNumbers, DataOption3 _
:=xlSortNormal
MyWB.Application.Cells.Subtotal GroupBy:=7, Function:=xlSum, TotalList:=Array(8, 9, 10, _
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, _
37, 38, 39), Replace:=True, PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=True
MyWB.Application.Cells.AutoFormat Format:=xlRangeAutoFormatSimple, Number:=False, Font _
:=False, Alignment:=True, Border:=True, Pattern:=False, Width:=False
MyWB.Save
MyWB.Application.Quit
Set MyWB = Nothing

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Hi PHV,

Thanks for the very quick reply. I have copied your code and then when i ran the code i got an error...

Compile Error: User-defined type not defined.

At this bit of code...

myWB As Excel.Workbook

This is an error that i have seen while trying out code in other posts.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

Chris

You have to reference the Microsoft Excel Library:
When in VBE(Alt+F11), menu Tools -> References ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Cool, that has sorted out that error... but you guessed it i have another. At this point:

DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputTable, lcQueryName, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel8, strReportName, True, ""

This error is returned:

Run-Time error (3709):
The search key was not found in any record.

The only thing that i can think it is is that it now says acOutputTable not acExport.

Anyway a star for the help so far !!!

Cheers,

Chris

Hold on, i have sorted that last error out now by following my own train of thought.

Is there a way of automatically installing the excel reference library via code - cause this database is going to use on many pc's, and going round them all would be a realy pain.

Cheers,

Chris

Is lcQueryName a parametized query ?

Hope This Helps, PH.

Umm, not quite sure what you mean. But here is a stab - the query does have criteria (e.g. date range entered on a form). Is that what you mean?

Chris

So, the the forms must be open and the date range textboxes properly populated when you launch the OutputTo.

Hope This Helps, PH.

Ok,

So what is the difference between acOutputTable and acExport?

Chris

Umm yeah - sorry i am very new to VBA. Cheers for your help. Didn't mean to bug you.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back