Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another 250i that won't load 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

meltitdown

Technical User
Apr 24, 2003
NZ
I have a 250i which was experiencing problems and was reloaded but fails to reload with this messge:

Booting from SCSI file XBOOT.IM
Image loaded
Loading Image from Hard Disk
Loading file VMS1_2.IM
Boot error - hard disk I/O error: SCSI error: f0 00 00
Boot error -- I/O error
Unable to locate a valid boot device
Loading Image from Hard Disk
Loading file VMS1_2.IM
Boot error - hard disk I/O error: SCSI error: f0 00 00

it loops in this state. I suspect the disk has failed, but I don't have the orignial software to try and load it by floppy. Can anyone help? the software version is S.1.0.0

From the previous posts it looks like it is contained on only 2 floppies?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sadly Yes. Avaya / Octel can only use a specially formatted disk up to a max of 2gb.

Jonathan Schofield

I also get this...

TYPE SLOT CHNL PRIO DATE TIME #BAD DATA1 DATA2
27 00 00 3 09/29 16:06 1 00000006 00000000

The manual says it's a "Option Control Chip Error - Sector 3 read error" ? What does that mean?

The OCC chip is a RAM memory chip that allows certain features to be enabled. For example, a new Octel has 5000 mailboxes on it but you have only paid for 100. This is recorded on the OCC chip and so that is all you can use. When you write a LARGE cheque to Avaya for another 100 mailboxes and 'Call Queueing' feature, then that is 'written' to the OCC as well.
As your hard disk is not well then the OCC chip cannot tell it what features to allow on reboot.

Jonathan Schofield

OK, thanks. I read some things in the manual about it but it wasn't clear if it is a fault with the OCC or the disk...

Hello again

I will check for the error code 27 tomorrow.
If it is the OCC (Option control chip) then it is the license dongle(little chip) located in the back plane.
OCC is marked on the little chip.

Your harddisk and perhap the OCC is defective, from what I can see.

BR doktor

Hi meltitdown

As we have had some - but few - harddisk crashes and newer an OCC crash since 1991, I would believe that it is the HDD that is defective.

But I am pretty sure that the HDD is defective after reading this:
Option Control Chip Error - Sector 3 read error with error code 27 gives also a hint about this, as the mentioned sector on the harddisk is matched and compared to the content of the OCC.

So, you need:
OCTEL HDD with s/n 740-6535-001/
740-6245-003
&
System software for S.1.1.1-2:
P/N 600-6344-005 (6 diskettes)
&
English (Great Britain)version 1A prompts.
P/N 600-6315-002 (6 diskettes)

Please check your mail for further info.

BR doktor

Hello,

I have the software diskettes (3 pcs.) and the models diskette (1pcs.) When i try with diskfactory under WIN2000 to made the diskettes then it's not working good. When i use diskfactoty on NT4 server is working fine. I can create the diskette's. Wehn i start the 250i with the disk it's going fine till the VCU startup okay. Then i'll get the same message as meltitdown :
HARD DISK INITIALEATURE CONTROL ERROR!

IZATION ERROR: NO SYSTEM DISK INSTALLED.
SYSTEM INITIALIZATION SUSPENDED!

Kings

Hi kings1

I am pretty sure that your Octel 250i's harddisk is defective as meltitdown's.

BR doktor

Hi Kings1

I am sorry to say that I can't.
But when you have got a new HDD, then you can use my diskettes for S.1. or S.2, depending on your need:

System software for S.1.1.1-2:
P/N 600-6344-005 (6 diskettes)

English (Great Britain)version 1A prompts.
P/N 600-6315-002 (6 diskettes)
-------
System software for S.2.0.2-2:
I/N 600-6364-014 (3 diskettes)

Model diskette for S.2.0.2-2:
I/N 600-6364-015 (1 diskette)

English (US)version 2G prompts.
I/N 600-6349-002 (7 diskettes)

Did you contact the AVAYA dealer that Jonathan Schofield
mentioned in your own thread?

BR doktor

Jonathan, Dokter

I had contact with Connect Communications but they cannot help me. Do you have another company who have disk's for octel voicemailsystems?

Kings

Hi Kings1

I am sorry to say that I don't know.
As the OCTEL 250-i is phased out from both Ericsson and AVAYA, I really don't know how and where you can buy spare parts for the 250-i.
We did newer sell the 250-i in big quantities here in this area. I don't for the rest of Europe.
We primarily sold the OCTEL 100, 200 and 300, as we were more happy installing the "original" OCTEL hardware.

So, good luck.

BR doktor

Hi meltitdown

Having received your HDD in your country, I would like to know if you got your OCTEL 250i up & running??

Best regards doktor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back