Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anonymous users need a mapped drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yisrael

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2003
US
I have an application that needs to have a mapped drive to work. The application works fine as long as I can use it as an authenticated user. The problem is that this server has the internet connector license from Microsoft which allows 200 concurrent anonymous users. I created a logon script which maps the drive on the TsInternetUser profile on the local server and it didn't work. If I log on to the server and map the drive and then run the app, it works fine. I really want to publish the app just like all of the other apps on this machine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Server configuration: Windows 2000 Server SP4, Citrix Metaframe XP FR2

We are doing this:
Created a share just for the map and restricted access to the file system
Created an account that only has rights to the share
Mapped the drive in the login script passing the above account with the Net command

Thank you for your help. This option does not really work for me because the MS internet connector license restricts any authentication from taking place on this server and logs on all users with the TsInternetUser account. Any other ideas? Maybe some registry hack to allow for a logon script with this user? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Could you use the start program on login to do the mapping?

My situation:
I have a Win2K TS running Citrix MetaFrame XPe
Users connect anonymously via ICA
The login script runs and has the command

Net Use N: \\servername\sharename password /user:servername\username /persistent:no

Notes: the share and user account are on a different server
the user account is local to the other server
the other server does not use Internet Connector

I just looked at my server and the local users and groups TsInternetUser account does seem to allow a user login script on the Profile tab.

Now you see what's bothering me. :) Any other ideas?

No, I'm confused.

TsInternetUser account DOES seem to allow a user login script

I think MS specifically removed that ability as the use of the internet connector license is supposed to be only for unathenticated users. They expect the authenticated user to eat up a CAL. (It is not like the internet connector license is so cheap either:)) Thanks for all of your efforts anyway.

Hi,

Doesn't the user still run usrlogon.cmd from your application compatibility scripts?

In which case add a line near the start that maps your drives. I do that and it works ok!

Cheers,
Carl.

Another option to Ogi's which is more elegant, is to

1 Creat a batch file that maps the drive
net use persistant /N

net use \\server\share /user: /pwd: etc
and then runs/starts the app from the command prompt

eg Start c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Winword.exe

I have had to do this at several locations and have managed to get it to work

Cheers
Scott

What I meant was Ogi's solution is more elegant than mine, but sometimes ugly works where elegant don't [blush]

Cheers
Scott

Thanks Scott,

Additional to that:-

Net Use ?: \\server\share /user: /pwd: etc
Start /b "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Winword.exe"

Would work and close the command prompt window. Keeping it even tider!!!

;-)
Carl.

Ogi, You did it! I am not looking for elegant, just one that works. I modified the usrlogon.cmd to add the mapped drive and it worked [thumbsup]

Only too glad to help!

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back