Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annoying Win98 NAV problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stretchy

Programmer
Mar 26, 2002
GB
This is my last resort.... I have just re-installed Norton Internet Security for the last time. I install it, it runs fine for a couple of sessions (reboots etc), then without warning it wont show up in the system tray when i boot up. When i try and run it anyway it says i need to be a system administrator!! This is in Win98 where i have no user account system whatsoever... I dont know what its up to but its really annoying. Also my Sound Blaster Audigy software no longer autoexec's in windows (probably unrelated). Any Ideas?

thx _______________
Stretchy [Pipe]

I suggest you just scrap Norton Internet Security as it does just as good as free firewalls. Once Norton Internet Security is fully removed, get either Sygate Personal Firewall/Pro, Conseal PC Firewall (v.2.0.6 - v.2.0.9), or ZoneAlarm (last resort). This recommendation does not fix your current problem with Norton Internet Security, rather uses alternitives... --Sapient2003 - sapient@sapient2003.com
"The worst insecurity is beleiving you are too secure."

Norton Internet Security has its own security settings for configuration, and this is the message you are receiving. If you view the readme during the install, it tells you that you will need to create an administrator account to be able to remove it, make settings changes, etc. The documentation should explain how to create the account.

Norton includes an uninstal utility called RNIS (located on the NIS CD) which will allow you to remove it completely if an administrator account has not been created.

Sapient has a good point. Zone Alarm, which is free, is considered by many to be the best firewall. It certainly seems to cause less trouble than Norton.

Yep, I decided to use the free zonealarm for the time being to see how it fairs. NIS can stay on my Win2k partition of now. _______________
Stretchy [Pipe]

I agree with the recommendation to scrap Norton Internet Security. I had nothing but problems with it, and nothing but vague answers when I posted at Symantec. I liked the detailed reports it provided, but it interfered with the operation of other software on my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back