Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annoying problem with NT explorer startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

barriel41

Technical User
Feb 26, 2001
GB
I have a really annoying problem when booting one particular NT4 workstation PC.

Each time the PC boots up it opens NT explorer and displays the contents of the c:\winnt\system32 folder as a seperate window on the desktop. I do not want this to happen.

Closing explorer, setting the desktop to how I want it to look and rebooting the PC has no effect, the explorer window reappears each time.

I have searched the registry repeatedly to try and locate the entry which causes this problem but with no luck.

Has anyone got any suggestions as it is getting really annoying.

Barrie

does it happen when you log in as administrator? is the
do not save settings on exit enabled for ur account?
kindly check all these and also the policies set for the system.

Check the registry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Look for any null values ("") and delete them.
This should solve your problem

John

Look for the register key posted above... but look for software that WAS on your but no more.

It opens up that window because there is a reference in that run folder for something to startup but the software isnt there. The file wont necessarily have a null value

Hi guys

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem was a trial shareware hard disk monitoring program whose 30 day trial had expired. The software was uninstalled some time ago but not all the registry entries were cleaned up.

I have now removed all traces of it and it seems to be OK now.

Have a nice weekend :)

best wishes

Barrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back