Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annoying Print Delay in Illustrator 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

artwino

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
US
Does anyone have a similar experience or solution to the annoying long delay when I send a document to print? OS 9.2, Illustrator 10.

Similar experience on 3 differend machines.

How are you printing? Is this a USB printer? What are you printing to? Are you using transparency effects? Does the delay occur when the file is being sent to the print monitor from Illustrator or when the file is being sent from the print monitor to the printer?

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Printing via Ethernet to Laser Printer,no transparancy, black and white art. Delay comes after pressing Command-p. A good 15-25 seconds before print dialog box comes up. Does not do that in any other application, printing response immediate.
Worse when File Sharing is on, but still noticably bad with it off.
Thankso

Is background printing turned on? Always found that slowed things down.

I can see the thing taking forever to spool, but it's odd that you're having to wait just for the print dialog box.

That's why I am stumped. It is only in Illustrator, and the same amount of time to the print dialog box for text or Graphics. I'm going nuts. I am positive it's an Illustrator thing. It's conflicting with something else I use and I have been struggling for months to figure it out. I thought it was Quark for a while, but no.

Geeze.a

Here's one thing you could try - I'm sort of forgetting about 9 as I've been on X for a while - If available, try giving ILL more minimum and preferred RAM. ILL is a memory eater.

When I used 9 and earlier, I alway found that in I doubled or tripled "suggested" amount of Ram, things went better.

yes, the more memory you have the better/
faster ill will conduct the printing process, and
any other layout procedure.
peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back