Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annoying popup when launching IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rello

Technical User
Oct 25, 2001
CA
Hi All

I have this annoying problem. Whenever I launch Internet Explorer a popup also opens at the bottom of the screen. It opens it's own web page - I can see another box on the task bar.

I am running 98se and IE 5.00.2614

Any help would be Appreciated

Thanks [evil]

Thanks for the Advice

I have ran ad-aware and it did find and remove a number of files. However it is still happening. It appears the web site is . It was also bold enough to put folders in my favorites (chat,movie review, adult etc.). And believe this - also put them on my desktop.

It is definitely not from the homepage I have set.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Out of curiosity, what is your homepage? Just in case, try changing it to something like temporarily. If that doesn't help, try to repair IE from the "control panel -> add/remove programs". ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

What you need to do is change your home page. To do this make a note of the current home page name, you need to have IE open and click on TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, GENERAL, HOME PAGE ADDRESS and change it to whatever you want it to be. You may have to do this a few times as some programmes do not like being kicked off. But you will get your home page back.

Now go to START, FIND on C drive, type in the name of the home page that you wanted to get rid of and delete anything to do with it.

You should now be clear of it.
Regards
Phil [roll1]
Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back