Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

annoying Enter Network password screen 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubees

Programmer
Aug 6, 2003
US
We use IIS web server and its working good until last week but some how its acting weird by poping up Enter Network Password Screen asking to enter Username and password.

All the websites that were developed are for internal use and people who are supposed to use them should not be asked for username and password. Ofcourse when they enter their usrname and password it allows them to access that page but its really frustrating to enter those details each time they open the webpage.

More details: internal.xxx.com is the domain and there are 5 different websites with 5 different IP addresses under it.
a1.internal.xxx.com, a2.internal.xxx.com etc. So, people access it by typing a1.internal.xxx.com and so on.

Please let me know if you need any more details. And Please please help me solve this problem.

Thank you very muchin advance

Try enabling anonymous access for all websites and you shouldn't have that problem anymore.

I already did that to all the website but I am receiving the same pop up

I used IUSR_servername & password and checked the kind of permissions for Internet guest account IUSR_severname they were read, write and execute

its still giving the same pop up ??? any other ideas please

Have you tried the "Check server health" option in the Sharepoint admin (Site Administration page)?

nickpark,
can you please tell me
where can I find that option? and what should look for in the sharepoint admin?

Anonymous access is on and using browser. Also checked health and it came up with nothing.??

Try resetting the password of the local user used for anon access - set below the "Enable anonymous access" checkbox.

Then update this to match in IIS aswell.

If that doesnt work.... are all users in the same domain?
If you leave the username and password blank in the popup, and press OK, what happens?
Have you installed any updates on the webserver?

hi nick,

all the users are on same domain

well.. for the second question its not straight forward:

1. for some users when the website was accessed it pops up the screen enter "Enter Network Password" and if password and username fields were left blank they are able to see the website with out any problem
2.but for some users a different kind of pop up appears "Connect to a1.internal.xxx.com" with Username and password fields. and if the two fields are left blank and hit ok it shows up a "information balloon asking for USername with eg:" and that wont go away. If hit "cancel" "Page not displayed screen" appears.

No updates are installed lately.

Thanks again for your continuous help.

...and you tried resetting the anonymous user password: USR_servername ?

If you aren't getting anywhere, I'd try creating a new Website on the same server with a test page and check if that works. You may save time, copying everything to new Websites...

actually I didnot try your first suggestion of resetting the pwd, When I try to reset the password its giving me very scary note saying all the changes are irreversible and would lose all previous information etc..

ya.. I would try creating a new website.. or we are planning to create a new test user account and use that in the place of USR_servername..is it a good idea?

Rebelrouser, I already tried that but I got Access Denied page..

Anyway,

I created a new account to be used as a anonymous account and guess what IT WORKED!

Its because we just unchecked the Allow Inheritable permissions to the sub directories box.

THANKS A MILLION TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION.

I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back