Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annoying DNS issue with AD clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

estanuk

Technical User
Oct 16, 2009
GB
Hi all,

I have a very very annoying DNS problem with some of my AD clients, it only seems to really happen with a few (these are the only im aware of)

Its usually first thing in the morning shortly after turning their system on, a lot of internal dns names will NOT resolve. Because of this mapped drives arent connecting and certain services wont work, a restart wont always fix it, infact the only thing that seems to work is repairing the network connection.

Some more details: my clients join the domain as normal and login fine, the one i had this morning had a static IP. his primary dns was the main DC and his secondary dns was the backup DC. his dns-suffix is mydomain.com

if i ping server1 i get unknown host, if i ping server1.mydomain.com i get unknown host, if i ping the IP of server1 i get a response. the weird thing is SOME servers still ping fine through their hostnames.

I cant find anything in eventviewer to suggest a problem.

Is there anything i can do to go through my dns setup to ensure its all ok?

thanks!

One more thing, not sure if its of relevance but in the event viewer of the main DC there was entry that said:

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer net0022329 using any of the configured protocols.

This was around the same time that the computer was having trouble resolving internal dns names.

Hi. I don't know if this will help you or not, but here it is anyway.

We have a dns issue that isn't quite the same, but does occurr at bootup. We open a command prompt and run an "ipconfig /flushdns" and then an "ipconfig /registerdns" and we will be good till the next reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back