Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annoying dialup "Connecting ISP1" popup window

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxLinux2004

Programmer
Apr 25, 2004
OM
I have an annoying popup window from my dialup connection. I am using Windows XP Pro SP1 and have a Xircom network and a modem in one PCMCIA card. When at work, I use my laptop though our network and when at home or in cafe, I use the dialup modem. When using the LAN in the office, this "Connecting to ISP1 Dialing 1-111-11111111" dialup popup message windows is always poping up on my screen. Canceling it doesn't help because it always come back after a few seconds. I want to get rid of it. How can I do that? Please help.

Have you already tried changing the setting under
TOOLS--->INTERNET OPTIONS--->CONNECTIONS?

Change it to: "Dial whenever a network connection is not present

Thanks jdemmi but it is still happening. I even selected "Never dial a connection" but still the dialing popup window keeps on appearing. I tried to look in the services.msi but no luck. Need help.

I think you could have a case of spyware
Adaware and Spybot your PC
Is ISP1 your provider? or just an example you produced?

Hmmmm, run any spyware finders lately? Could be a spyware that is causing this.

Try running spybot S&D

Is this a connection that you need? If you use software to dial up with your PCMCIA card then you don't even need the connection in there and you can just delete it out. We use Sprint and it creates a dial-up connection as well but it can be deleted as the software is used to connect.

Ed

Thanks to all who replied. I have the Spy Remover and run it and it says that I don't have any spyware in my system. The ISP1 is just an example and not the exact ISP name that I always dial. Yes this is the connection that I always dial. I only use the XP dialer when you configure your modem for internet connnection. No other dialer program that I use.

Are you using any program which needs an automatic update (Microsoft, anti-virus, etc.)? I have that problem if "task schedular" is looking for an update and I pick that time to dis-connect. Next time I turn on the computer, it tries to reconnect to complete it's task.

What mail client are you using, sometimes those have their own private settings to make the connection dial..

BuckWeet

I am having this same problem. I will look to see if my task scheduler is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back