Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annoying Delay in Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardF

Programmer
Oct 9, 2000
GB
Hi,

I am getting a problem when using Windows Explorer :

When I browse to a directory there is a delay (approx 30 seconds) before the contents of the directory show. During this time the explorer window goes into Not responding. It happens quite often but seems to frequent on folders that I havent visited recently.

I've tried the following things:

disable realtime virus checker,
clear history
defrag regularly (using defrag.exe command line + scheduler).

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar - or if there is any software to analysis disk bottlenecks (i am assuming it is the hard disk) or similar.

Thanks in advance.

Rich.

disable indexing service.
defrag the hdd
use chkdsk /f to fix hdd problems
also run virus/spyware killers

Rich,

Does this problem happen just from this one computer, or from multiple computers? Multiple servers or just this one? How big is this directory?

This has been discussed in other forums, something about Windows XP refreshing the file list. Big directories (lots of entries) are subject to this.

Do some analysis, and try and find a pattern. Then we can look for a cause.

Cheers,

Chuck
Paranoia Comes From Experience, and is Natural.

Also, is there a CD or floppy in the drive on the affected system? windows always takes a minute to spin up the drive to have directory listing at the ready in case you want to see whats on the CD loaded in your CDROM drive.

Can you repeat the delay in Safe Mode, or in Normal Mode but with a different user?

It is a good idea to remove any malware as a possible cause.
Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

These are often a cause with Explorer problems in XP.

822430 - Windows Stops Responding When You Click a Large AVI File in Windows Explorer

Select a file - windows stops.
Thread779-422825

Hi,

Thanks for your replies !

Indexing Service was turned off, so I have turned it back on - I dont know if this will affect the performance.

I have also run chkdsk /f which seems to have fixed the problem (accessing the same directories is near instant or < 1 sec at least). I will monitor it and re-post if the performance becomes laggy.

Many Thanks !
Rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back