Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annoying compile error........

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithinuk

Technical User
May 14, 2002
GB
Hello
I'm getting the error message below when compiling a class library which has references to other projects (DLLs).
I can understand why the message appears (different assembly versions) but it doesn't happen all the time.
To overcome it I have to delete all the DLLs referenced in my projects and rebuild them from the bottom upwards.

Any thoughts please ????
Thanks
Very frustrated Keith

Warning: The dependency 'AccessControl, Version=1.0.1132.19326, Culture=neutral' in project 'Reg2KCtr' cannot be copied to the run directory because it would overwrite the reference 'AccessControl, Version=1.0.1132.27280, Culture=neutral'.
In case I forget to say "Thank you" I'll say it now - thank you for your help !!!

SORTED !!!!!!!

I discovered that changing the version number in all assemblies to 1.0.0.1 the error went away.

I'm now reading about GAC and strongly named DLLs.

Hmmmmm..... Pass the headache pills please.

Thanks anyway.
Keith In case I forget to say "Thank you" I'll say it now - thank you for your help !!!

Hi Keith!

Glad you were able to sort things out. The compiler was complaining because you were attempting to overwrite a newer version of "AccessControl" with an older one (1.0.1132.19326 over 1.0.1132.27280).

What happens is when you compile/run a project in VS.NET, it automatically copies any referenced assemblies to your project's bin directory. In this case, it sounds like you might have manually copied it, or perhaps rolled back the other project to a previous release.

Chip H.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier Chip but thanks for the clarification.

Keith In case I forget to say "Thank you" I'll say it now - thank you for your help !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back