Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

annomous user login

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigreguy

Technical User
Feb 1, 2003
I am having problems when someone wanting to access my site by logging in. I have allow the annomous user's set in IIS but still I or anyone still has to log in. What could be causing this problem? I don't have active directory on this server, my understanding is that with sharepoint I do not need to have active directory installed.

Thanks,

Tony

Hello,

just to double check, you have also turned on anonymous access on the SharePoint site / SharePoint Portal? It is not enough to just set it in the IIS, you will need to activate it in SharePoint aswell.

Cheers,
Thomas

Thank you for this info. I am unable to find in SharePoint where I would do this. Can you assist me in its location? I am currently in SharePoint Central Administration now and do not see any reference. what I do see is
Virtual Server Configuration:
Extended or upgrade virtual server
Create a top-level Web site
Delete site collection
Configure virtual server settings
Security Configuration
Set SharePoint administration group
Manage site collection owners
Manage Web site users
Manage blocked file types
Configure antivirus settings
Server Configuration
Component Configuration

This also brings another question to mind. Does the web site I'm working with need to be listed under the Virtual Server List?

Open up the sharepoint site it self
Click on Site Settings
Under Administration
Click on Goto Site Administration
Under Users and Permissions
Click on Manage anonymous access
You should be able to turn it on now, If not go back to IIS go into the properties of the sharepoint site ---Directory Security -- Edit Authentication and acess control. Make sure tat the anonymouse check box is checked off and that the account listed is part of you domain.

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

Beowulf005,

I am currently at the sharepoint site and I do not see any references to Site Settings. I remember in the past that option being there but I do not see it there now. I have tried to add a new anonymous user account figuring that somehow the p/w's got messed up and the authentication was not occuring properly. This did not work. As stated in your signature there is always a backdoor. I think its covered with thicket and thorns......
I am runnign IIS vs. 6.0

Thanks,

Tony

First set IIS to allow anonymous users for your Sharepoint virtual server. Then (part 2) is to do all the sharepoint configuration once you've done the IIS configuring.

pseale,

Thank you for your advice. I have set IIS to allow anlnymous users for my SharePoint virtual server. I noticed that doing this seemed to synq the anonymous users amongst globally.
I am not quite sure where to look within the sharepoint configuration if you could provide me with some guidance in this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back