Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANN: OTN Workshop - Oracle teaches you the latest technology for free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course if you have enough money to reach there :)

Regards, Dima

???
I didn't understand this last remark. Both the OTN Workshop and the OTN site are free of charge.

The workshop closest to my home is about 500 miles away. That requires driving or flying or taking a bus, a hotel stay, eating at restaurants, and taking 2 days off work. That would be about:
Code:
($400 + (16 * my hourly rate))
out of pocket for me.

Code:
select * from Life where Brain is not null
Consultant/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle 8.1.7 - Windows 2000
[sup]When posting code, please use TGML for readability. Thanks![sup]

Well,
It is hard to do this workshop in every city in the US (and the world :), so we target bigger cities.
One thing to add to your formula is that after such a workshop your rate per hour can be bigger since you know more new technologies.

Also the Forms Workshop is only half a day - so no need for overnight stay.

And to sum it all up - if you can't get to the workshop please visit were all the data is online for you to learn from.

I understand you cannnot hold the workshops everywhere. And while the workshop would add to my knowledge base it does not enable me to re-negotiate my rates on existing contracts. So you are right in that it potentially increases my rates if a potential client values that skill. However, unless I could find a flight that would leave at 4:00am in order to get to the 8:30am registration I would need an overnight stay or would have to sleep in the airport! No disrespect intended, just agreeing with Dima that you do have to have cash in hand to attend a workshop.

What really made my heart skip a beat on OTN was:
"Good News for Forms Developers Want to get Oracle Certified? Take the new "Oracle Forms 6i to Oracle9i Forms" Beta exam. Registration is open until June 30, 2003."

so thanks for making me take a peek!

Code:

By the way, if you could talk someone into scheduling an afternoon workshop where I could catch a flight in the morning and then fly home at night, then perhaps I could seriously consider attending one.

Code:

Free cheese is in mouse trap only. I'm sure they will provide a lot of promo information with minor details. With average salaries in my country I should work about a month just to reach there. Though the good news is that (16 * MY hourly rate) is much smaller :)

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back