Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

animating and controlling depth of loaded swf

Status
Not open for further replies.

quaker93

Technical User
Jun 28, 2006
US

I'm trying to load an external swf into my scene when a button is pressed. I want to be able to animate the movie clip and I want to be specify it's depth.
I tried using loadMovie(url,target). This allows me to animated the target the way I would like, but I don't know how to make sure that the mc I load is on top of everything else in the scene.
I tried using loadMovieNum(url, depth) and I am able to get the mc on top of everything, but since there is no instance name I don't know how I could animate it.
Any suggestions?
My scene is pretty complicated, but I can try and make a simplified scenario if this doesn't make sense.

thanks!
tim

I should add that I have another swf that has been loaded into a level about _level0 and I need this one to be above that as well.

thanks!
tim

The higher the level on which the movie is loaded (you have 16,000 levels to play with...), the higher it will appear over whatever is loaded between it and above _level0, the main movie's level.

To control a movie loaded on a level, you would refer to it's level number, but you cannot do so from the main movie or any other movie loaded on some other level, until you're sure that the movie is fully loaded, usually through a preloading script, and probably have a stop action on it's first frame, so that it doesn<t start playing once it's loaded...

//loadmovieNum("your.swf", 50);
_level50.gotoAndPlay(2); // Only when the movie is fully loaded

You could do the same with container clips, the higher the layer (in the layer order on the timeline) the higher the container clip will appear over underlying layers.

//container_mc.loadMovie("your.swf");

Regards. Web Hosting - Web Design
03/13/05 -> OLDNEWBIE VS FLASHKIT

Hi, I am writing because this issue just popped up for me as well. I'm a real newbie and I am NOT a programmer. What I'd like to do, though, is have the loadMovieNum have a 'top' option instead of invidividual layer numbering orders so people can load movies in a non-linear fashion. Does that make sense? Imagine steps in an instructional process, and wanting to be able to go back and forth among the steps and have the movie load on top of the last one, no matter which one was there before. So, if they click on 1 or 6, the movie loads on the top layer, instead of underneath it or something. My instructor in class suggested using loadMovieNum for this, but I'm not convinced I can do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back