Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

animated loft extrusion?! urgent help needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samoth

Technical User
Jan 20, 2002
DE
for days and days I've been serching for a way to animate a loft extrusion. The desired effect is best explained by the wellknown Windows screensaver "3D pipes" (...sorry, I'm not certain about the English title; it's the one that shows pipes that move like growing worms in three dimensional space... :)

So: is it in ANY way possible in MAX 4.2 to do the following:

Extruding a square over time along a path that is made from the outline of a "hollow" capital letter "C"?!!!

In other words: The aim is to create a three dimensional outline of the letter "C", beginning from nothing to the "closed" outline-loft.

Does anybody know a hint? You would be God! ;-))

Thanks an enjoy your Sunday.
samoth

Perhaps I would do like:

Start animating your path, so it wil grow from a length on zero at the begining, to its full length at the end of the animation.
Afterwards, make an extrusion of your shape by using ”Loft”.

Explanation on lofting:

- Select your shape
- Press the button “Loft” (You’ll find it under ”Compound Objects”.)
- Under the submenu “Creation Method”, select “Move”.
- Press the button “Get Path”
- Select your path

That must be it.

From KBBJ (-:

...sounds quite easy, but: how would you animate a path that is curved? A circle for instance? I think that's difficult... I found a solution though: animating the scale parameters of the loft object does a quite perfect job.

thanks for your replay anayway ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back