Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Animated GIF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruityBoy

Programmer
Jul 21, 2000
GB
Hi

Has anybody had experience with animated GIF files in Visual Foxpro.

I have used the internet explorer control to point to a GIF file, but this takes a lot of formatting to look correct, I would prefer a tidier method (like using an ocx control where I simply set a picture property,etc).

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

fruityBoy

The marchoso.ocx is probably going to do what you want - apart from the fact you will need to brush up on your Spanish to be able to understand error messages!

Another approach might be to consider rolling your own with an .Image control, a timer, a table and sundry .jpgs, .bmps, and .gifs.

Disadvantages? - a lot of work.

Advantages?

[tab]You can mix and match file formats

[tab]Through the timer interval, (called from a record in the table), the .Image control will display your graphic file for as long as you require, anabling proper animation or simply letting an advert, for instance, remaining on screen for n seconds.

[tab]By clicking on the image control, you can trigger events such as going to a URL, specific to the displayed image, again through a field in a record in the table.

The basic principle is that the .tmrAnimate is enabled, the .tmrAnimate.Interval is set by the first record as is the .Picture property by using a field called TABLENAME.filename and at the end of the interval, in .tmrAnimate.Timer() event there is SKIP IN TABLENAME until EOF() when you GO TOP and start all over again.

By using DELETE and INSERT, you can rearrange the record order in TABLENAME to suit the application.

Not for the faint hearted, but the results can be spectacular.

Chris :)

Cheers for your help guys, I'll try both options..

I think that it is a big oversite that the picture control does not animate GIFS by default, sometimes it seems that Foxpro is the very poor relation of Visual Basic in terms of it's interface controls!

Thanks again.

PS - Where do I get the marchoso from?

fruityBoy

The search engine is having an off day and not giving proper responses.

The filename is anigif.zip.

Rick Bean will be able to give you a link if he reads this thread - if all else fails I can e-mail it to you.

fruityBoy

Rick Bean may be on vacation - if you want to post your e-mail address, I will send anigif.zip to you.

Be warned - it's a massive 47 kb!! LOL

Cheers, OK, my email address is:

simon@selectgroup.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back