Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Android development for the newbie (like me) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working my way through Android Application Development for Dummies. While it isn't all that well written, I'm finding it useful.

I am working through the same book Bong. It gets real meaty in chapter 7. It certainly must be written for smart Dummies like us, because for a Dummies book, it gets real deep. I find it very, very thorough in some areas and glosses over some more complicated stuff. It does make you do your homework/research to fully understand the Android API. Well worth the money.

I liked the book also. Now I'm working through "Android for Programmers (An App-Driven Approach)" by Dietel Developer Series. It would be good as a second book.

good to know. thanks

That will be my next read. Thanks for the advice.

As I work through this book "Android for Programmers (An App-Driven Approach)" I have run across a few code errors. In the address book app, Fig 10.14 (ListActivity) line 37 will cause a compile error. LogCat will say there is an error in doInBackground, but it appears that the CursorAdapter is declared twice. Delete "CursorAdapter" from line 37 and all is well. Also in Fig 10.30 there is a rouge apostrophe in line 86, "_id='" that apostrophe is a typo. This causes a runtime crash. That caused me hours of grief. As a newbie, I am typing in and studying the code from the book as opposed to downloading and importing the code to a new project, I learn better that way. However, these errors did help my code troubleshooting skills. I hope this helps someone someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back