Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

..... AND WHAT ABOUT GNU / LINUX ? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAstrada

Programmer
Sep 20, 2000
Can sound as a "out of place" question.

Not to me. In the last few years, I see how we, try, against all, to still survive with our clipper apps working. Becouse of restrictions version after version more strictly, of the world's first OS manufacturer.

I hate restrictions, and love free programming. So, "open source comunity" is a great concept.

Dream: (as an example) "A Harbour project app (the Fivewin open source version site), running under Linux".

Of course, we must open our minds. And more difficult: open the mind of our customers.

Is it possible. ? Is there any software available, to reach the traditional clipper apps results and perfomance ?

I should like to learn through your points of view, and your knowledge.
Thanks to all.

Plugsys is ok as long as you are willing to rewrite significant sections of code (I have numerous legacy apps from dbIII days that won't compile under plugsys but will work fine under clipper). Our solution is to use Caldera Linux with its DR-DOS emulator and our clipper programs run fine.

Hi,

An interesting debate no doubt. But remember, our efforts in writing clipper programs can only be used with the right os. While free os is nice, how many users will actually trust it to put it on their machines. I know, that many users and corporates have already adopted linux as their os. But you ask any of them, the os is free but the costs of installation, configuration etc is something else again. Can you imagine, some of the biggest names in the business, and i don't only mean the redmond giant, supporting/porting the free os on to their systems for free. no way. everybody is tweaking the os and they call it customising. in short, the various flavours may soon be as different as chalk and cheese.

In any case, third party software came in because we didn't want to write all that code or because somebody came up with a new interesting suite which did something more than we could. so we purchased the software. do you blame that developer for not disclosing the source code for the os?. He has to make a living too. If you can think of a way to help such developers for their efforts, yes something may happen.

Otherwise the laws of economics are as inflexible as our source code. and we will be restricted to freeware, which may give us new ideas to do old things, but with minimal testing and probably with bugs. So if you want to re-write all code yourself (re-invent the wheel?) then go ahead do it.

In conclusion, to sustain development on free os (and there are a whole lot of reliable os es around) we need a certain minimum critical number of users. We need a clipper compiler (for want of a better word which will produce native code for that os) and we should be prepared to write (re-write?) all the code ourselves (unless open source software is also available)

Subra if you find this useful let me know at vksubra@icenet.net

Thanks, Subra, you certainly point at a razonable center-point-of-view.
Your business points of view are right. And so are your technical points of view. Al long as I were never much concerned with third party librarys, I've diden't ever think in your point of view: why not open source librarys ?
yes, you are right. Think we are entering in "other world" that technical world. The world or rights and the like.
What do you think, guys ??

regards, Subra.
Gustavo.

.... and now, by October ' 2002, what do you think about Linux ??

you know.... Linux is the OS of the Pentagon house critical information, (he regreted microsoft), the Nasa critical mission OS (Columbia, Endeavour, etc.), all the ships he launch at Cabo Cañaveral run his computers in Linux, with new and cheap and reliable technologyies.

What do you think, my friends ??

hmmmmm.....

I just thought I'd mention that NASA (Cape Canaveral) have not yet switched to LINUX.

In fact they are using various OS's AIX to NT.

You would be pleased to know that Clipper has been used at the KSC for facility maintenace systems. :)

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back