Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anchoring graphics to text

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentara

Programmer
Apr 13, 2005
US
I'm working on a large technical manual in ID. Problem is, every time I need to add/remove text, I have to realign 40 pages of graphics (and of course, pagebreak placements). This is because I did not set these graphics inline with the text -- I read that doing so would prohibit me from editing the graphics with as much control.

So the question is: Is there any way to anchor an independent graphic to its position overlapping a text frame, such that the graphic will move with the flow of text when text is added or removed?

Or, am I wrong and can I edit inline graphics just as easily as independent ones? If so, is there any way to convert an independent graphic to an inline graphic without having to readjust its precise position?

Thanks for helping a stumped soul! I saw some similar posts in here dating back a year or two, but nothing that actually helped me determine a course of action.

Upgrade to InDesign CS2 (4.0) as this is a new feature.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

InDesign CS has this feature.

I place an image in the correct size graphic box. Then I cut it,Cntrl/Cmd X to the clipboard. I then get the Hand Tool and place it at the insertion point of my text, iniside the text frame as though I am about to begin typing again. Then control/command V to paste the item in. I have to mess with the soft returns and sometimes enter a few spaces to make everything line up correctly. So if you want your image/graphic box on the right side, put your cursor in the text about 3-4 words from the right side and it will paste it there. It will look odd at first, if you hold onto the image box again you can only move it up and down, not side to side. By moving it up or down you have some control about the way the text flows.

Just my suggestion, and what I do

Denice :)
Mac OSX, Running Classic for Quark 4.1. System G4.

Sorry - I may have misread the post. Anchoring images is new to IDCS2 but inline graphics are certainly possible, even before IDCS1, as denice notes.

I read that doing so would prohibit me from editing the graphics with as much control.
It depends on how much control you are looking for. By wrangling tabs, leading and paragraph styles, you can pull off quite a bit with simple inline images.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back