Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anchor links

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any half decent search engine hits an anchor link, it will only request the actual page, not the full link.

This prevents a page with 100 anchor links pointing to it being listed as 100 pages, rather than 1. If the page is requested directly, the same content is seen.

Hope this helps

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

thanks,
i just wanted to make sure the search engine wouldn't have problems as it does with dynamic links.
Cheers!

Hi mate,

It won't have any problems. The problem with a dynamic link is that it needs to have the vars passed to the page to work correctly, an archor link is totally different.

You can also apply ways to overcome dynamic links so that a SE sees it as a normal link.

Hope this helps

Wullie

Thanks again,
What are the ways to overcome the dynamic link problem for search engines. (I thought the only way involved paying for it) Is there a free way?!
Thanks

Hi mate,

I have a site up for review in the web designers forum, for certain reasons I'm not going to post a direct link here, but it uses this method if you want to take a look.

thread253-616511

Hope this helps

Wullie

How do I find your method?
I went to a dynamic link and checked the source code and there was no keywords or description in it.
Also, what does the abstract meta tag do....?
Thanks again

Hi mate,

The site is still being built, it still has a few things to be finished. The keyword meta tag is pretty much useless anyway.

How you do it depends totally on what language the site uses. If you do a search on google for "search engine friendly urls" it pulls up various methods.

Abstract meta is pretty similar to description, except its a brief summary and generally a one line sentance.

Hope this helps

Wullie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back