Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

analogue modems will not work over IP trunks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

noginthenog

Technical User
Sep 1, 2004
EU
Has anyone else had this problem? I have two Definity's, one is V10 and the other is V11. I have an IP trunk between both systems running DCS+. Voice and fax calls work fine between the systems but modem calls don't work. The problem I have is the modem call connects, the modems handshake but fail so they time out. I have tried dropping the speed to 9.6k to match the fax 9600bps but that made no difference. I suspected that the codec settings would be the problem so in "ch ip-codec 1" I have set it to G.711a (as I am in the UK) to allow a 64k connection for the modem handshake but this still didn't make it work. My V11 system has no PSTN trunks on it as it dials out through the V10 switch via the IP trunk. The network is linked via Fibre under the campus site, a bit like an EPN but I already had two EPNS on my Si Definity, hence a stand alone switch with IP trunk being installed. Tought it could be a transcoding problem but I'm not sure how it can be fixed. Can any one help, any suggestions?

Modems over AVAYA VoIP is not yet supported..

You have to do a form of Modem Passthrough, which AVAYA doesn't have..

It basically just supports T.38 fax relay and standard Voice

BuckWeet

Yes, that does make sense, thanks for that info. Now you mention it I remember hearing about that on my Cisco CVOICE training. Do you (or anyone else) have any idea if it's on Avaya's product/feature release roadmap? Rgds

I had the oportunity to speak to a very knowledgeable person associated with the TSO. The answer is that they have and are still working on it.

FYI: From an Avaya Client Exec, "CM 3.0 will be released April 2005, unless it gets pushed back again." Can I hear a hooray for ESS!!

I stand corrected

interesting, and ABOUT DAMN TIME!

heh

thanks for the info

BuckWeet

Do you need a certain HW version of the medpro to support modem over IP?

Hello,

You need MEDPRO firmware 72 and above

------------------

Petran.

The feature expected in CM3.0 is full support for 64kb calls over IP trunks. They have no plans to support b-channel bonding, but will support full 64kb (1 b-channel) in CM3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back