Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analog ports IPO 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcarpetmovers

Technical User
Jun 22, 2014
US
Hi I have a IPO 9.0 with a PRI. I have the following analog lines that are needed for these devices

( 3 ) ALARM SYSTEM LINES
( 2 ) FAX LINE
( 2 ) POLYCOM HUBS
( 1 ) NIGHT BELL
( 2 ) DOOR PHONES

I have three combo cards that provide ( 6 ) analog ports but I need a total of ( 10 ) what is recommended to provide this may analog ports?
Thanks!

Follow up with some research I did. Will this do the trick? Any license needed?

Avaya IP Office 500 Analog Phone Station 30 External Expansion Module 700426224

No license is required for analog phones as per my knowledge of IPO. Just connect the analog module to the expansion slot of your IPO.

If you have a spare slot just stick a phone 8 in.

| ACSS SME |

WARNING: only two combo cards are supported (i.e. work) per system.

Chef de claque (IP Office, Xima, Xirrus)

Also, I would not recommend putting alarm lines through the phone system. These should have their own dedicated analog pots lines if they must be used with pots. The reason being is if you lose power, those lines are now useless. So, a fire takes out the power and now the alarms don't go off because the IP Office is now dead in the water. POTS lines outside the system require no power and will still work. Elevator lines and alarm lines should be kept as pots lines.

Telecomboy said:
Also, I would not recommend putting alarm lines through the phone system. These should have their own dedicated analog pots lines if they must be used with pots. The reason being is if you lose power, those lines are now useless. So, a fire takes out the power and now the alarms don't go off because the IP Office is now dead in the water. POTS lines outside the system require no power and will still work. Elevator lines and alarm lines should be kept as pots lines

Ditto this. Check with Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) - especially if fire alarm. Whole lotta liability if running thru PBX.

smokinjoe, he has a PRI and is looking to connect his alarm lines to analog ports on the IPO, not POTS lines before the IPO.

sorry misread post but did get to test the delete option, and yes customer really should install some pots lines for these then especially the alarm panel as stated earlier.

if I use a 8 port analog phone module in combination with the combination cards I should have enough analog ports. If I use this configuration and a second expansion cabinet will I need to have a license in order to plug in the second expansion cabinet?

I currently have the essentials edition. Thank you

I'm not sure if you want to use hardware that is EOS for a long time to connect security relevant systems...

Just my .02 - recently a colleague of mine swapped out a dead 16 port 400 trunk module for another used module. There was so much static on the ports he had to do it a second time. Those 400 modules are getting pretty old. There are no licenses involved with that module.

I already answered your question and you confirmed to have one:
intrigrant said:
You need a essential edition license...
If you are not on 9.1 then buy the module if needed, they hardly break unless due to overvoltag/lightning or moisture damage and Metro Direct won't sell crap. The only weak part is the power supply, keep it cool and you're cool too.
Consider the remarks about using a PBX to connect alarm and fire lines, but if customer want it that way and it is allowed in your country just do as asked.

The phone room has it's own 24 hour A/C and is locked and secured all the time with a magnetic lock and only a security card can allow entry. All equipment including the IT network run with a UPS at all time. They want all services to be on the PRI. This is all a issue of cost for this site.

My feeling on that subject is that if there is a fire regardless of it being on a land line or a PRI circuit if there is a fire either or both cabling would be subject to being destroyed by the fire and preventing being able to be used. For example if there was a fire on the outside near the telephone pole or demarcation on the side of the building all services regardless of class would be destroyed before the fire even enters the building to activate the smoke or fire sensors. In that event analog lines from the Telco would not work either. Wireless burglar and fire either primary or secondary seems to be the best.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks everyone for your help!

But a direct connection between Telco and alarm system prevents you to lose alarm messages due to programming failures or firmware bugs in IPO or a broken power supply. If is the customer's decision but you should tell him about possible risks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back