Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analog ports going "dead" after TTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

brookscis

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
US

Argh! I'm going crazy! We are between phone vendors, in a manner of speaking, and so I've been on a crash course in the delights of the telcom world of late. Right now, I'm simply trying to hook up a pair of fax machines to two analog ports on our definity.

I've got the wiring done, and it is good. Tested for polarity even. I get a dial tone w/ a POTS phone, and I can then TTI the proper extension to the analog port on the other end. As soon as I do this, however, I get the usual sound, then the definity hangs up and the line goes totally dead. I can call that extension from another phone, and it 'rings' over and over, but the POTS phone never rings. I have tried busying the sta out, and releasing it.. nothing. busy the port out, release. nothing. use the console to disassociate the port & the station, and the port is still dead. (!!)

Then, at some later time, the port begins working again. ??

Anyone have any ideas for me? I'm contemplating definiticide. :)

It almost sounds like the extensions are half-tapped to another analog port (ie the TIP of one port and the RING of another port). Polarity could still potentially show up OK, but you'd technically be connecting 2 lines together, and I would guess that Ring Voltage (when you call it) would simulate an off-hook situation so the line would be answered, but then dropped because the ring-voltage is now gone and there isn't a real phone off-hook on the line.

Hope this helps...

Kris

kristandg's answer is a very good place to start. Another thing would be what is the distance from the switch and have you checked the connections at all crossovers?

brookcis:
What type of board are you connecting to? Could it possibly be a TN793B or TN2793B V5 or earlier? There is a know problem with these boards when TTI is turned on. Avaya has a QPPCN bulletin out about this!

Hope this helps

fonedoc

fonedoc - it _is_ a TN793. So I should just assign the ports via the console, and then life will be better? Or do i need to turn off the TTI ability somewhere else?

Others - the phone is attached to a phone jack, then the jack is attached to the punch-down panel corresponding to the analog board. It is about as simple as I can get it - I started off with the ports I am working with wired to another punchdown panel, then to building wiring to a phone jack. I am pretty @#$%in confident it's not a wiring problem. :)

Also - I have been 'test'ing the port via the test command, and the only test that fails is the #48 ringback test - which I understand the definity uses to determine if the station is present. So I turned the 'Test(y/n)' option to 'n', thinking that if the definity didn't test for the ringback it wouldn't fail & mark the station as AWOL, or whatever is causing my deadness. A good idea, but it didn't seem to help.

TIA for any assistance..

If your sure the wiring is OK try this. The old stare and compare. Look up another analog port for a fax or modem line and see how it is configure and make your new ones look the same.

Also for got to add. Make a test jack with apiece of cross wire and RJ-11 jack. Punch down at the block coming out of the switch and see if you get the same results. If it works coming out of the switch then you could have a bad pair.

Fixed, or solved, whatever.

1st, the test field on the station had to be set to 'N'.
2nd, not to TTI the analog port, set via console.
3rd, if it acted dead even after being careful to set port via console,
-busy sta xxx
(wait a sec)
-rel sta xxx

good 50% of time
if that doesn't work, and it's a good time for it (usually when I do this sort of thing it's late, so i can do things like this),
busy board xxx
rel board xxx

like the reboot method w/ windows. :)
good luck all

This may be a TTI problem. Do a "status tti". If you don't have 100% traslated, "change sys fea" and set tti to "n". Status tti until 100% complete and then turn on tti again.

James Middleton
ACSCI/ACSCD/MCSE
Xeta Technologies
jim.middleton@xeta.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back