Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analog port speeds on the PBX? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

G3Man

Programmer
Jul 15, 2002
US
Can anybody tell me what the dial up speed is for analog ports on the PBX? We currently have a G3Rv5 and we're looking at moving some folks from 1FB's (POTS) to analog ports on the PBX. The speed on the 1FB's are around 28.8.

Thanks,

Chris

It all depends on your lines comming into the pbx. It is perfectly capable of supplying 56k as ours does, but if your trunk lines don't support 56k, then it doesn't matter. The phone company is only required to provide 19200 service.

More than that, it depends on whether you use analog or digital trunking. In order to support any speed higher than 33.6K, you can only have 1 A/D (analog to digital) conversion. Because you have an analog modem, your line card is the 1st A/D conversion. If you have analog trunks, or you are dialing another analog modem, the fastest possbile speed would be 33.6K. In reality, it is likely that it would not exceed 26.4K though.

Then there are all of the other variables, like number of cross connects, if there are loading coils, old cable, etc., etc.

If you want to get to 56K, you need to make sure that your modems are digitally terminated. I have seen this done by putting a DS1 card in the Definity and connecting it to an Ascend MAX to do digital modem emulation. That gave the RAS solution a 56K dial-in capability. If these are outbound modems, and have to be analog, then you are at the mercy of the distant end (provided that you have digital trunking).

pansophic

Thanks to both of you for your responses, this helps me out!

Thanks again,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back