Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analog phone connected to paging system not loud enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2013
US
We have a paging system which provides an FXS port. I have an analog telephone wired into it. I can page every room by doing a *1 and then speaking. However, the volume is not high enough.

The paging system is ancient and does not appear to have any controls to increase volume. When you use the built in handset, it is nice and loud but the analog phone going into the FXS port is too quiet.

Is there anyway to amplify the signal of the analog telephone? It's just a POTS line. Can I use one of those in-line telephone amplifiers for people who are hard of hearing?

Thanks!

What type of phone is it? Radio shack sells inline cables with a volume adjuster built in. You would somehow have to splice the cables to the FXS into the audio cable with the volume control built in.

It sounds like it's time to upgrade to a new PA system, lol.

Can you give more details about what the phone is connected to and how the paging system is set up?

"Keep the Peace, Use RLS"

What type/make of analog set or type/make of paging system or if other hands sets or analog sets tried.
Paging system for phones or overhead?
Pots line from another country or right at the AMP?

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

What kind of hardware is housing the FXS? If it's Cisco voice port you can use the 'input gain' commands to modify it.

When you make the comment "when you use the built-in handset..."

There are two types of handsets out there. I am not going to get the technology terms right, but its like one has a dynamic/magnetic mic and the other has like a ceramic mike or something like that (electret vs condenser or ....). More than likely it is the type of handset used on the phone you are using, but you can't just change that because it's matched to the phone base.

If you can find a "really old" analog phone - like a 2551 desktop phone, but not anything made in the last 10 years (it doesn't have to be rotary dial, but when you unscrew the mouthpiece there should be a big metal disk in thee to speak into that has no wires on. If there is a little electret mic in there with wires on it that's not old enough. If you have one of those older phones it will probably work good for you. The new 2551 desk phones look similar, but you will note the handset is extremely light compared to the correct ones, which are very heavy.

I have that same problem with my interalia message recorders and some of my other recording equipment - I have to have the right style of equipment/handset connected to them of the sound quality is very poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back