Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analog lines not ringing - NEC2000 IPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

imeldesign

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2004
US
It seems our analog lines (all using Dterm analog phones) are not ringing. The light flashes but the station does not ring. As far as I can tell it is on all the analog courtesy phones on the campus. Where do I even begin to look? The only change to our system recently is the carrier. These phones are used mostly in classrooms in case of emergency but the front desk can't dial into the class room and have it ring now.
Thanks
melanie

check cmd >9001 for the extension should be set to 3, This effects ringing/no ringing day/night.

I dialed into the system via Matworks (I live in another state now)
I did MOC
f9
f8
9001>2621
f8
DATA ERROR

Not sure why they all stopped ringing or when.
melanie

sorry you need to select the line forgot to tell you should look like

9001>2621,01

Okay,
Here is what I did
f9
f8
9001>2621,01 (f5 adds the comma)
f8
DATA ERROR

You have confused the issue by saying Dterm analogue. These are not Dterms they are analogue phones! Humor me and try changing the batteries in them!

LOL I didn't even know they had batteries. I said Dterm because I thought they were the same brand as the digital phones.
melanie

I should explain that a while back I had problems with analogues not ringing. We ruled out a ring generator fault because the message wait light was flashing with the ringing.

It turned out the analogue phones (which if memory serves me right were NEC badged) had batteries to hold up the memory dial. Problem was if the batteries went completely flat, the ringer would stop working! Ended up slowly replacing them!

That would explain why all of them sort of stopped around the same time. They were all bought at the same time. I'll have the onsite guy check to see if they have batteries.

Well the onsite guy could not find any batteries in the phone. Now he realizes that ALL analog lines including fax machines that are part of the system aren't ringing. We cut over at the end of the year to Comcast as the carrier. I am not sure where to even start. We have two fax lines that aren't part of the phone system and they have yet to come back to connect them properly - one doesn't work and the other is on again off again.
Just to be sure these don't have batteries....
IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg

No those aren't the ones I was thinking of so first test is another make of analogue from a known working station and if that doesn't work then there is a ring generator fault which IIRC is a power supply function. Do you have the site on maintenance?

no onsite maintenance.
It may take some time for him to dig up another phone to test. He may have to bring one from home.
Thanks.
melanie

Well I finally did an onsite visit to fix some of the computers. I wasn't even thinking about the phones but the analog lines do not ring (all of them).Nec model DTR-1-1(BK)TEL
They do ring off site (I brought one home).
Any troubleshooting ideas?

Having just posted the above, a thought occluded to me! I've never tried doing this (who would), is there any chance someone could have set them to voice calling?

I think it's time to get back to basic test and troubleshooting. Get a volt/ohm meter. Set it to measure AC volts. Connect it across tip and ring at the phone jack (red/green leads, or Wh/Bl, Bl/Wh). Call the phone and look for ~90 VAC. If you get nothing, then check it at the PSU. There should be a connector with 2 leads on it coming from the PSU to the back plane of the KSU. Press the meter probes into the back of the connector to get a connection to the pins. Look for ~90 VAC. If you get nothing, then check the fuses on the PSU, replace the PSU.

I am back in Atlanta but I can get the testing done if someone can tell me what a PSU is, what it looks like and what a KSU is. In relation to the PSU where are the fuses. If need be I can have a photo take of the pbx and you can tell me where to look.
Melanie

PSU stands for power supply unit. On the IPS system it is installed on the left side of the KSU (Key Service Unit) which is the cabinet that houses the cards and PSU. It has an on/off rocker switch on it to turn power on and off. It also has a 110/220 selwction switch. Make sure it is properly set for your AC power source. There is a fuse on the front of the PSU, but additional fuses are located on the component side of the PSU which will require a shut down and removal of the PSU to get to. I'd leave that to a qualified tech.

Well the saga continues....I emailed the directions to my contact on site to have the above steps (using volt meter) tried. He calls me and says the reception area analog line is now ringing. He was on his way to meet maintenance there to test the phone jack on the courtesy phone. He was going to test some other lines and get back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back